Destrehan finishes Terrebonne early to remain unbeaten

Patrick LeBranch of Destrehan races for the endzone - he'd be down at the 1, but score a play later in Destrehan's 41-14 win over Terrebonne Friday night.

Destrehan hasn’t been stopped. Destrehan hasn’t been slowed.  

The Wildcats (4-0, 4-0) landed another win via an early knockout blow as it raced past Terrebonne, 41-14, in District 7-5A action at Wildcat Stadium. Destrehan took a 28-0 lead early in the second quarter and never looked back.  

The primary task facing Destrehan Friday was corralling a Terrebonne (1-3, 1-2) offense featuring some explosive players, particularly at wide receiver. It was another test aced by a Destrehan defense that has now allowed just 27 points all season – and less than that for the DHS first team.  

“We thought they were balanced on offense, so for us it was a matter of staying fundamentally sound,” said Destrehan head coach Marcus Scott. “You try to make them one dimensional, at least as much as we could. They have a few really good wide receivers that they try and get the ball deep to. That was a challenge … they’re tall as well out there, so that was good work for us to get in, having to defend those guys. We kept them in front of us as much as we could and prevented the big plays.” 

Quarterback Jai Eugene has been off to the best start to a season he’s had as Wildcats’ passer, and that collective fast start has been peppered with quick starts to Destrehan’s individual games. That continued Friday, as he rushed for a score to put DHS up 7-0.  

Destrehan turned to its powerful running game for its next two scores. The first game on the legs of Shane Lee, who burst through the line and got free down the right sideline for a 38-yard touchdown to make it 14-0 with 3:30 left in the first quarter. 

The Wildcats forced a Terrebonne turnover on the Tigers’ ensuing drive, Kolaj Cobbins recovering a fumble at the THS 25. Eugene found Patrick LeBranch for a 24-yard gain on a screen pass, and LeBranch punched it in from the 1 on the next play to push the lead to 21-0.  

With 9:45 left in the first half, Eugene dialed up Daniel Blood for a 9-yard touchdown, and Destrehan was able to coast from there.  

It was a strong performance that the Wildcats can linger on for a bit – Destrehan has an open date next week, its next game not until Oct. 29 when ESJ visits for a district battle.  

“We’ll use the time to work on the fundamentals, heal up and try to get ready for two tough opponents in East St. John and Thibodaux,” Scott said.  


About Ryan Arena 2415 Articles
Sports Editor

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.