Chili Cornbread Pie
Whip up a new dish for your family with the Herald-Guide’s Recipe of the Week.
- 1 pound ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1 packet (1.4 ounces) chili seasoning or taco seasoning mix
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) no-salt added whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies, drained (optional)
- 2 boxes (8.5 ounces each) dry corn muffin mix
- 2 large eggs
- Sliced avocado, salsa and/or sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400o F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
2. Cook turkey in large skillet over medium-high heat until turkey is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili seasoning, tomato sauce, corn, beans, 3/4 cup evaporated milk and chilies. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
3. Combine corn muffin mix, remaining 3/4 cup evaporated milk and eggs in medium bowl; stir until just moistened. Spread mixture over meat filling.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving suggestion: Serve with chopped avocado, sour cream and salsa.