Former Hahnville High principal pleads no contest

Brain Lumar

Former Hahnville High School principal Brian Lumar pleaded no contest to a charge of simple battery earlier this month, following an arrest in May. 

Lumar, who was accused of inappropriately touching the parent of a student without consent, was sentenced to one day of parish prison (credited for time served) and was fined $500. He was ordered to attend counseling and follow any recommendations for treatment.  

He was ordered to have no contact with the victim, who the state advised had approved the plea, according to court records.  

The no contest plea was to a charge of simple battery, down from an initial charge of sexual battery,  which was dismissed.

Lumar reiterated Monday he vehemently denies the allegations. A no contest plea means one admits no guilt for a crime but leaves the court to determine the punishment.

In June, Lumar announced he was retiring as Hahnville principal and from the St. Charles Parish school system. He has since been succeeded by Jose Gonzales. Lumar served as the school’s principal since 2018 and prior to that was its vice principal for five years. He said through a statement that the decision was in no way forced or coerced by the school district. 

In May, the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office released an official statement concerning the arrest. 

“On April 26, 2021, the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office was contacted by a parent of a Hahnville High School student and made aware of an alleged sexual battery that occurred upon the parent by Principal Brian Lumar,” the statement read. “During the course of the investigation, it was learned that Lumar and the parent/victim had arranged a meeting on March 31, 2021, to discuss matters related to the student.” 

According to the statement, the parent told police that after she arrived in the reception area of the principal’s office, she was advised by Lumar to leave the reception area and re-directed to meet him in another private office location on school grounds. 

It was during that meeting, the parent said, that Lumar allegedly committed a sexual battery against her, without her consent, and she left the school’s campus. 

“During the course of the investigation, detectives were able to corroborate the victim’s statement through sufficient evidence, and thereafter an arrest warrant was obtained from a 29th Judicial District Court Judge,” the statement read. 

The Sheriff’s Office said Lumar was contacted on May 3 and informed of the active warrant issued for his arrest. Shortly before 6 p.m. he turned himself in and he was booked into the Nelson Coleman Correctional Facility.

Earlier this summer, Lumar released a statement announcing his decision to retire from the school system. The statement read:

“Effective July 1, 2021, it is with heartfelt appreciation and pride that I retire from the St. Charles Parish Public School System. This decision has been made based on what I believe is in the best interest of my family and my future career endeavors. It allows me the chance to pursue professional opportunities aligned with my life work. Please know that under no circumstances was I forced to retire. The announcement to retire is presented without any coercion from the school system.

“While I continue to maintain my innocence, the decision to retire affords me, my family, the students I serve, and the school system clarity of future action and direction. I vehemently deny the allegation made against me.  This have certainly compromised the perception of my character and integrity as an educational leader and person.  As I continue to maintain my innocence I will certainly remain committed to enriching the lives of students.”

 

 

About Ryan Arena 2340 Articles
Sports Editor

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*