Some 26 firefighters responded to a Luling fire early Thursday morning (Nov. 2) that substantially damaged a house and nearly claimed the life of the family’s poodle.
Luling, Hahnville and Paradis volunteer fire departments went to the scene of the blaze in the 100 block of Celia Court, said Luling Fire Chief Craig Petit.
They responded to the call at 2:58 a.m. and remained on the scene until 5:16 a.m.
“Upon arrival, flames were observed coming from a window on the right side of the residence affecting the neighbor’s residence,” Petit said. “The main residence sustained heavy fire and heat damage.”
The residence’s occupants were uninjured as they quickly exited the house when they observed smoke, the chief said. The fire is believed to have originated in the back bedroom.
After extinguishing the house fire, firefighters found the poodle unresponsive under the kitchen table.
Assistant Chief Barry Minnich gave the dog “a few quick breaths” and resuscitated the animal.
“It is doing well,” Petit said.
Also, a neighboring residence sustained moderate heat and flame damage to vinyl siding.
The fire is under investigation.