Boutte, LA – When establishing financial fitness goals, First National Bank USA wants to remind customers: it’s easier to build a credit score than to repair a bad one.
“Having a good credit history is key to any financial plan,” said Brandt Dufrene, President and CEO at First National Bank USA. “Credit scores take into consideration years of past behavior, so it’s important to establish a history of responsible credit practices and build your score by maintaining good habits.”
First National Bank USA offers the following tips to help build and maintain good credit.
- If you are just beginning to establish your credit history, open a checking account and keep careful track of your balance.
- Use debit and credit cards for convenience and safety, but not to overspend. Missed or late payments damage your credit and hurts your credit score.
- A good mix of credit (i.e., a revolving credit line and an installment loan) also boosts your credit score and further demonstrates that you can manage different types of credit.
- Demonstrate stability in the three to six months before a major purchase. Avoid opening or closing accounts or moving large amounts of money around.
- Build an emergency fund equal to at least six months of living expenses. If the unexpected happens, you will still be able to pay fixed expenses instead of falling behind.
- Alter your credit focus as you approach lifecycle stages. As you near retirement, for example, start paying down major purchases (such as a mortgage).
- Monitor your credit regularly so you can correct any errors and detect any potential signs of identity theft. Order a copy of your credit report annually from www.annualcreditreport.com.
“Establishing good spending and saving habits, and sticking with them, is critical when times are tough and can go a long way toward helping you achieve your financial goals,” said Dufrene. “Your local bank can serve as a great resource to help get you started on the road to establishing good credit, which will serve as the foundation for a more secure financial future.”
About First National Bank USA
First National Bank USA is locally owned and operated since 1975 with offices in Boutte and LaPlace. We are your hometown bank offering free checking and a full range of banking services to meet all of your financial needs.