Turn out the lights, the party’s OVER

Wildcats fall to Carencro in regionals and call it a season

The Destrehan Wildcats’ 2006 season came to halt Friday night at the hands of the Carencro Bears for the second time in four years as the boys in garnet and gray fell 35-28. The Bears’ had just ended the Hahnville Tigers’ season one week prior, but the Wildcats did not go down as easy as Hahnville did. The Wildcats could not stop the Bear’s running game, and the Bears could not stop the Wildcats’ passing game in the second half which led to an all-out shootout at the end. A slow first half was followed by a 35-point third quarter that found the game going from a 14-6 Bear lead to a 28-28 tie. The Wildcats were unable to capitalize on early turnovers and were not able to force Carencro to pass late in the game.

After a rough first half saw the Bears take a 14-6 lead, two missed Destrehan field goals and some missed opportunities on offense, the Wildcats came back in the second half and gave Carencro all it could handle. But it came up just short as an incomplete pass at the Carencro 13-yard line with about a minute left ended any hope of Destrehan scoring.

Despite the loss, the Destrehan offense put up some spectacular numbers. Starting quarterback Jordan Jefferson, in his first start since week six, threw for 382 yards and four touchdowns. Three wide receivers had over 100 yards as Edwin Reed had four catches for 141 yards and a touchdown, Tim Molton had six receptions for 120 yards and a touchdown and Damaris Johnson had seven catches for 119 yards and two touchdowns.

Destrehan looked good on its first possession, driving from its own 12 to the Carencro 14 after a long pass to Reed and another pass to Molton. But the Wildcats would have to settle for a 30-yard field goal attempt which was missed.

The very next play from scrimmage found Destrehan getting the ball back as defensive back Antonio Parker made an interception at the Carencro 41-yard line. However, the Wildcats went three and out and were forced to punt.

The Bears then mounted a long drive from their own five to deep inside Wildcat territory. Then linebacker Chris Richard ended the drive with an interception at the Destrehan 32. But again, the Wildcats went three and out and were forced to punt.

It was then that Carencro began to respect the Wildcat secondary and pretty much abandoned the passing game for the rest of the contest. That proved to be a good move on their part as running back Alfonso Landry broke off a 92-yard run for the game’s first touchdown. And minutes later, they took a 14-0 lead on a one-yard Landry run after a long drive.

Something finally went right for Destrehan on their next drive. Jefferson connected with Reed who took it 65-yards down the field for the Wildcats’ first touchdown. The extra point was missed, cutting the lead to 14-6.

After holding the Bears on their next drive, the Wildcats had one more chance to score with a long drive from their own three. A long run by running back Jerico Nelson, who finished with 93 yards on 13 carries, followed by two receptions to Molton put them in field goal range at the end of the first half. However, the 36-yard attempt was missed leaving the score at 14-6 going into halftime.

Carencro wasted no time extending their lead to start the second half. Landry broke free and ran 73 yards this time for the Bears’ third touchdown, taking a 21-6 lead.

But the momentum was about to swing. A short kickoff followed by a 17-yard run by Nelson put the Wildcats in Bear territory. Two plays later, Jefferson hit Johnson for a 38-yard touchdown pass. This time, the Wildcats went for two and Jefferson nailed Nelson in the endzone to cut the lead to 21-14.

The home crowd was back in the game and the defense responded, forcing a three and out by the Bears. And on the first play after the punt Jefferson threw a long bomb to Molton for a 57-yard touchdown. The extra point was made and the Wildcats had tied the score.

The defense stepped up and forced another three and out supported by a sack by Richard and defensive lineman Charles Chiasson. The punt was short and Destrehan took over at the Carencro 45. A few plays later, Jefferson found Johnson for their second touchdown connection of the game. After the extra point, the Wildcats had finally taken the lead 28-21 with less than six minutes left in the third quarter.

But the lead was short lived as the Bears mounted an 80-yard drive that culminated in a one-yard Landry touchdown run.

With the game tied at 28, the Wildcats were driving in Bear territory. But an interception gave Carencro the opportunity to take the lead. And nearly half a quarter later they did on another one-yard touchdown run after an 82-yard drive.

Destrehan had one last chance to score. After an 18-yard Reed kick return, the Wildcats began at their own 30. Jefferson then went on a mad completion spree, connecting with Molton, Johnson and Reed in succession twice to get to the 13-yard line. But on fourth down from there, Jefferson and Reed couldn’t connect and the ball fell incomplete. The Bears then knelt the ball the rest of the way and advanced to the quarterfinals of the state playoffs to face Sulphur this Friday.

The Wildcats end the season with a record of 10-2 and a second place district finish.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.