Destrehan records third shutout in four games to remain unbeaten

Phillip Wright of Destrehan (Photo by Ryan Arena)

Jackson Fields accounted for five touchdowns as Destrehan defeated Sulphur 45-0 Friday night in the Wildcats’ homecoming game, the team’s 22nd consecutive victory. 

Destrehan remains unbeaten with the non-district win and will head into next week’s District 7-5A showdown with East St. John carrying an 8-0 record overall. 

The Wildcats led 17-0 at halftime but dominated thoroghly in the second half, outscoring the Tors 28-0 in the final two quarters.  

“We had a couple of drives that stalled in the first half and weren’t happy with our level of execution,” said Destrehan head coach Marcus Scott. “But we took the ball in the second half and put a good drive together to go up 24 … after that, we kept it going from there.” 

Destrehan’s defense continues to breathe fire. This was the team’s third shutout in four games – but for a touchdown with less than a minute left last week, it would have been four straight. 

Destrehan got on the board on its first drive of the night, Jackson Fields firing a deep ball over the top to Greg Wilfred for a 31-yard touchdown. That was set up by an Anthony Robinson punt return into Sulphur territory after a DHS defensive stop.  

The Wildcats’ second possession got kicked into high gear on a Fields rollout and completion to Phillip Wright inside the Sulphur 10. Destrehan jumped its lead up to 14-0 on a Fields pass to Shane Ward for a touchdown.  

Ward was busy on a night starting running back Shane Lee largely saw rest after the opening drive.  

“(Ward) did a great job stepping up,” Scott said. “We’re an offense that asks multiple people to touch the ball, and everyone has to be ready to make a play at all times. Shane was ready to maximize his opportunity tonight. He ran the ball hard and caught it well out the backfield.” 

Sulphur was not going to go quietly, however, and its defense pushed back. There were a few mistakes from Destrehan’s end as well – a Sulphur punt that bounced off of a Wildcats’ player was recovered by the Tors early in the second quarter, then Sulphur’s Alijah Coleman intercepted a Fields pass that was deflected into the air by a defender.  

The Wildcats regrouped, getting stops after each of those giveaways and driving to end the first half with a Ryan Lacy field goal that made it 17-0.  

The tough running of Ward to begin the second half helped DHS extend the lead. Ward ripped off back to back strong gains to get DHS into the red zone. His 1-yard run to cap the drive in the end zone made it 24-0.  

A beautiful 60-yard post route pass by Fields to Wright saw the latter blow by the secondary for a 60-yard touchdown, making it 31-0. 

A Fields 1-yard touchdown run, followed by a Fields 12-yard touchdown pass to Makylon Smothers capped the scoring at 45-0.  


About Ryan Arena 3004 Articles
Sports Editor

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply