The St. Charles Parish Council approved a $278,528 change order for the Ormond Boulevard Pavement Rehabilitation project, but not until it clarified why the change was needed for the $3.6 million project.
Public Works Director Clayton “Snookie” Faucheux told the council at Monday’s meeting it appeared a portion of the road project had not been walked or inspected before taking bids on the project.
The project involves about 2 miles between U.S. 61 and LA 48.
According to Faucheux, the additional work warranted was recently discovered although the project had been initiated by the previous administration.
An addition 11 concrete panels of road were determined to require work or replacement, which he said was possibly missed in an inspection by the state Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD).
The parish and DOTD partnered for the project.
Faucheux said the additional funding also covered additional work including a median crossing built at the intersection of Ormond Boulevard and Cove Lane, a concrete barrier curb and surfacing upgrades.
Council President Wendy Benedetto said she wanted to be included in the final inspection of the roadway and asked if additional work could be required with this newly approved work.
Faucheux also said the added funding would not affect the parish.
Eighty percent of the project was funded with a DOTD grant with the difference from an assessment paid by Ormond residents.
Faucheux further clarified, even with the change order, a substantial amount of money remains in the assessment fund.Public Works Engineer Lee Zeringue told the council the project is substantially complete.
Councilwoman Julia Fisher-Perrier said the work “looks great aesthetically,” but questioned whether the change order was required because there was only one bidder for the project.Zeringue said the project drew five bidders.
Of them, Barriere Construction was awarded the project.Councilman Terrell Wilson said he’d gotten complaints from property owners about damaged mailboxes along the route.Zeringue said those five boxes were repaired and encouraged property owners to report any additional ones now while the project is still underway.