When Stacey Lynn Trosclair heard what her sister-in-law had just been through, she was horrified – and determined to help.
Robin Steinkamp was inside her Terrytown home with her three children when 8-year-old son Hunter raced into her room to alert her: something was on fire. The boy smelled smoke and Steinkamp sprang into action to clear all three children out of the house. By the time she did the entire den was engulfed in flames – they almost didn’t make it out in time.
The cause was electrical – a spark hit the den sofa and caused it to ignite. But because the family did not have renter’s insurance, they lost everything and replacing the losses would be a struggle.
Trosclair, a Hahnville native, began reaching out to her community in an effort to help. She started a clothing drive for Steinkamp, partner Martin Boudreaux and their three children, Liam, Hunter and Marcella.
The response was more than she ever expected. The family indeed received clothing donations – and so much more.
“The generosity was amazing,” Trosclair said. “We had a couple in Luling donate a whole living room set. We have a couple who wants to donate an X-Box and TV to them for Christmas. One lady wants to buy them Christmas gifts. We also had a lady ask if she can make each of the kids a quilt. And so many more people here in St. Charles Parish that donated clothes and home decor. They filled up one storage unit and we’ll need to get another one. That’s how much our community really came together to help this family.”
The drive was the third effort Trosclair has put together in recent months to help others in need, the two prior going towards families who lost everything in Hurricane Ida.
“The community really came together for them as well,” Trosclair said. “I never have lived in such a great parish where there is so much love and so many people wanting to come together to help people in need. I honestly couldn’t ask to live in a better community. St Charles Parish is my home.”
She said it was tough to see this happen to Steinkamp and Boudreaux, who she called “such sweet and down to earth people.” It was a scary situation for the children, and coping is a “day by day” process for the family.
“The youngest was actually dreaming about the fire and woke up screaming water, water, water,” Trosclair said. “It truly breaks my heart to see them go through this. I know they’re so grateful for all the donations. The kids were so amazed at all the toys they received and they were running around the parking lot with their dinosaur stuffed animals today when we went to pack all the donations we have so far in the storage unit.”
A GoFundMe established by Steinkamp’s sister Jodie has raised $600 as well for the family. Anyone with interest in donating to help may do so through that page, or by contacting Trosclair through Facebook. Money through the GoFundMe will be put toward new housing.