Late interception halts Destrehan rally at Terrebonne

Kyle Edwards of Destrehan

The Destrehan Wildcats have long shown the ability to rally from an early deficit, rare as those might be in the program’s recent history. But on Friday night, it simply was not to be.

After trailing 23-7 late in the third quarter, Destrehan pulled within one at 23-22 of host Terrebonne and had the ball with a chance to go ahead. But an ill-timed penalty set the Wildcats back, and Ko Carter intercepted a Destrehan pass and took it in for six to cement what ended as a 30-22 victory for the Tigers.

Turnovers did Destrehan in. The Wildcats committed four on the night to none for Terrebonne.

“We didn’t get it done tonight,” Destrehan coach Stephen Robicheaux said. “They hit some long passes on us. (Jaylin Lucas) caught a couple long ones, and Ja’Khi (Douglas) had a couple of touchdowns. He’s a special player and he’s gonna get his. We had our chances and our kids kept fighting. I have to do a better job of getting them ready. We were outcoached and outplayed.”

Florida State commitment Ja’Khi Douglas didn’t take snaps at quarterback, playing primarily at wide receiver for the second straight week for Terrebonne as he recovers from a shoulder injury suffered in the season’s fourth week. He had a big night out wide, hauling in two touchdowns to help Terrebonne build its lead.
Quarterback Ross Rogan threw both of those scores, while also scoring on a keeper run.

Kyle Edwards scored Destrehan’s first two touchdowns of the night, while Quincy Brown’s leaping jump ball reception from Jai Eugene Jr. resulted in another score.

Destrehan’s defense also recorded a safety that cut the Terrebonne lead to one.
Eugene Jr. came on in relief of starting quarterback Damarius Jackson, who missed last week’s game with an ankle injury. Jackson started this week, but left the game after an early turnover.


About Ryan Arena 2736 Articles
Sports Editor

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.