Cajun White Beans and Rice
Whip up a new dish for your family with the Herald-Guide’s Recipe of the Week.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 small onions (chopped)
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves (minced or crushed)
- 1 1/2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 lb diced ham
- 2 (16 ounce) bags navy beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups cooked rice
1. Wash beans and add to stew pot, boil for 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Brown ham in 1 tsp. of oil until just brown.
3. Remove ham and add 1 tsp. of oil, onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until soft. (If sticky, just add a little water.).
4. Add ham back to skillet and cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Add skillet mixture to beans and season with salt, cayenne pepper and bay leaves. You can use more or less of any of the seasonings to suit your taste.
6. Cook in stewpot until beans are soft. (4 to 6 hours)
7. Remove 1 1/2 cups of beans and mash. Add mashed beans back to mixture.
8. Serve beans over rice.