Crawfish Cakes & New Orleans Hurricane
Whip up a new dish for your family with the Herald-Guide’s Recipe of the Week.
- 1 pound crawfish tailmeat
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 large whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped red peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- 1/2 tablespoon cajun seasoning, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat broiler to 400 degrees.
2. Combine crawfish, mayonnaise, eggs, chives, cajun seasoning, pepper, red peppers, green peppers, mustard and Worcestershire sauce with half the bread crumbs.
4. Stir well. Shape crawfish mixture into 1-inch-by-4-inch patties and cover with remaining crumbs.
5. Transfer cakes to baking pan lined with foil.
6. Place pan on lowest rack and broil until light-brown, about 20 minutes.
7. Serve with greens and top with sauce.
Optional: pan saute cakes on non-stick skillet on medium-high heat for about three minutes on each side.
New Orleans Hurricane
- 1/2 cup ice
- 2 fluid ounces light rum
- 2 fluid ounces passion fruit flavored syrup
- 1 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
- 1 ounce lime juice – 1 fluid ounce 151 proof rum
1. In a shaker, combine ice, light rum, passion fruit syrup, lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage and lime juice.
2. Shake well and pour mixture into a Hurricane or other large specialty glass.
3. Float the 151 proof rum on top of the drink.