creole-style white beans and shrimp
Whip up a new dish for your family with the Herald-Guide’s Recipe of the Week.
- 2 lbs. small, raw shrimp
- 2 lbs. white beans
- 1 lb. bacon
- 2 tsp. liquid crab boil
- 2 large, chopped onions
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 bunch chopped shallots
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 2 large minced garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- steamed rice
1. Wash white beans and soak for six hours. Rinse again several times after soaking.
2. Start beans in a large pot, following directions for the amount of water needed.
3. Cut bacon across in 1/2-inch strips. Fry in a skillet till bacon begins to curl, just before crisping.
4. Put cooked bacon and half its grease into beans.
5. Add crab boil, onions and celery and cook for 45 minutes.
6. Add bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper and half of shallots.
7. Cook until creamy, then fold shrimp into beans and let simmer on low for 20 minutes.
8. Serve over rice. Sprinkle remaining shallot pieces for color and added flavor.