Two men charged with attempted murder in St. Rose shooting

Two men have been arrested and charged with attempted murder in connection with a shooting in St. Rose. One of those arrested is a father who reportedly exchanged gunfire with a 17-year-old accused of shooting the man’s son.

Je’Merius Beason

Je’Merius Beason, 17, was arrested Wednesday (May 15) and charged with two counts of attempted second-degree murder and one count of negligent injuring. He is being held on $400,000 bond at Nelson Coleman Correctional Center in Killona.

A second man, Cyrus London Sr., 40, also has been arrested and charged with one count of attempted second-degree murder. London Sr. is being held on $500,000 bond at Nelson Coleman.

At 6:03 p.m. the Sheriff’s Office responded to a shooting  at a strip mall located in the 100 block of St. Rose Avenue. During the investigation, detectives say they learned that when Beason arrived at the shopping center, he pulled out a gun and fired an estimated six shots that struck three victims.

Detectives say that Beason “had animosity” toward one of the victims, 19-year-old Cyrus London Jr., due to a prior conflict. London Jr., of St. Rose, was shot two times, suffering wounds to his chest and abdomen. He was taken to University Medical Center in New Orleans, where he was recently listed as in “good condition.”

At a press conference held Thursday (May 16), Sheriff Greg Champagne said the animosity may have been over a girlfriend.

Accompanied by primary detectives in the case, Champagne said Deason was the one who produced a gun initially based on the investigation.

A second victim, a juvenile male, age 16, that was with London Jr. and not named was shot in both legs and is listed in “critical condition.” He is currently scheduled for surgery, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

A third victim, a juvenile female, also not named, was shot in the right index finger. Detectives believe she was shot while putting herself between Beason and London Jr. in an attempt to defuse the situation. She was treated for her injury and released, the Sheriff’s Office said.

After the shooting, Beason fled the scene on foot down River Road toward Preston Hollow Subdivision.

Cyrus London

Cyrus London Sr. soon learned that his son, London Jr., had been shot and rushed to the strip mall when he saw Beason fleeing the area. According to the Sheriff’s Office, London Sr. followed Beason to the 400 block of Turtle Creek Lane in St. Rose and confronted him.

According to the police report, the two exchanged gunfire and investigators later recovered two different caliber weapon casings from the Turtle Creek Lane scene. London Sr. was shot in his upper chest. The Sheriff’s Office said he was treated and released from University Medical Center hospital. When released, he was taken into custody and charged with attempted murder.

After the shooting on Turtle Creek Lane, Beason fled to his home and a family member contacted the Sheriff’s Office. Beason was taken into custody without incident.

Champagne emphasized this was not a gang related crime, but one representing an increasingly worrisome trend of juveniles lacking temper control and it resulting in violence.

“We have no information there is organized gang activity there,” he said.

The sheriff further emphasized that based on legal changes, raising juvenile age from 16 to 17 for certain crimes by March of next year, that Beason would have been considered a juvenile and couldn’t be identified. The change raises additional concerns about housing more juveniles, which is already requiring their release at this time.

“There is no housing for them … no juvenile detention centers,” Champagne said. “And it’s going to get worse by next spring.”

Champagne said none of the guns used in the shootings have been recovered. He also warned anyone keeping them could be charged with accessory to a crime.


About Anna Thibodeaux 2071 Articles
Managing Editor

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.