Hahnville suffers tough overtime loss to Dutchtown

The Hahnville Tigers began the second round of district play on Friday when they traveled to Dutchtown. Though the Tigers led for a majority of the game against one of the top teams in the state, they would fall 4-3 in overtime.

From the time the whistle blew to start the game it was a very physical match and emotions ran high for both teams. Early in the game both teams had scoring opportunities with both goalies coming up big to keep the game scoreless.

But the Tigers got on the board first when freshman midfielder Craig Ford took possession of the ball and worked it up field to Johnathan Schmaltz.

Schmaltz outran the Dutchtown defender and beat the goalie to give his team a 1-0 lead.

After the goal, the Tigers continued applying pressure to Dutchtown and the defense came through with multiple saves in the first half to keep their team on top.

In the second half, the physical-style of play continued for both squads. Both teams had multiple shots on goal, and again the goalies came through.

But with less than three minutes left in the game, the Griffins would tie up the score after Dutchtown’s left forward stole the ball, dribbled through two Hahnville defenders and pushed the ball into the back of the net.

The game would end in a 1-1 tie, sending the match into overtime.

In overtime, the teams played two 10 minute periods. If neither team is able to score, the match goes into a shootout.

Both 10 minute halves were played, and again both teams had chances to score. However, solid defense kept the game scoreless and set the stage for a shootout.

The Griffins would gain the upper hand at that point, with their five shooters connecting for three goals. Hahnville was only able to score two goals on their five shots, and lost 4-3.


Hahnville 0     E. A. 2

Earlier in the week the Hahnville Tigers hosted district co-leader East Ascension.

The game was closely played in the first half with the possession advantage falling to the Spartans.  This resulted in a goal for the Spartans midway through the half.  Hahnville had a great scoring opportunity with a break away by Brian Bennet, but the Spartan’s goalie came through big time and kept the Tigers off the board.

Trailing 1-0 in the second half, the Tigers picked up the pace. The Tigers also made some formation changes that allowed for more pressure while attacking the Spartans.

The changed formation allowed for some early shots on goal by Reid Gautreaux.  Unfortunately, the Spartan goalie made several great saves to hold that Tiger from scoring.

Midway through the second half the Spartans possession game once again paid off with good ball movement up the field resulting in a second score.

The Tigers did not quit, and still continued to apply pressure on the Spartans with additional shots.  The Tiger defense also had several good saves by Austin Fremen, Forrest Muller and goalie Mason Boyer.

However, the game ended in a 2-0 loss.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.