- 12 ounces 96 percent lean ground pork
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons couscous
- 4 large red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, or a combination
- 3/4 cup prepared salsa, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar, Monterey jack, or Mexican blend cheese
Preheat oven to 500°F.
In small saucepan over medium-high heat, boil water. Stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat, and set aside for 5 minutes. In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook pork, stirring occasionally and breaking it up, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Also while couscous is softening, remove tops from peppers and scrape out seeds. Set aside. In large bowl, combine couscous, pork, salsa, corn, and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fill peppers with pork mixture. Arrange peppers in a shallow baking pan and bake for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle cheese on top and continue baking until peppers are tender and stuffing is heated through, about 5 minutes.
Serve peppers with additional salsa on the side.
Courtesy of Family Features