Destrehan routs Ehret, has dominated opponents through two weeks

Destrehan's Johnnie Thiel IV runs after the catch against John Ehret.

Destrehan marched out to a 21-0 first half lead and never looked back in a 42-6 home victory over John Ehret Friday night, continuing the Wildcats’ dominating start to the season. 

DHS has outscored its two opponents 91-6 through two weeks and entered Week 2 as the No. 3 ranked team in Class 5A behind Zachary and Karr. This week’s victory was a significant one for Destrehan head coach Marcus Scott, a win in the first meeting between his current program and his previous, as he guided John Ehret to strong success prior to his move to Destrehan.  

“First quarter was strong, we hit a little lull in the second quarter on both sides of the ball,” said Scott. “We were able to pick it up in the third and finish it out strong.” 

He said the reality of facing his former team didn’t truly sink in until after the game’s conclusion. 

“During the game, you don’t really think about it,” Scott said. “After, you start seeing all the kids, and it’s an emotional thing because there are so many good people over there who were so good to me and my family. It was good to see them.” 

The Wildcats sent a message on the team’s opening drive. Facing a 4th and 17, Destrehan elected to go for it – and got it, as Jai Eugene fired a pass to Daniel Blood for a 25-yard touchdown – Blood’s fourth score this season – to push DHS (2-0) ahead 7-0. 

Destrehan forced a turnover on downs when it held firm at its own 31 on an Ehret (0-2) fourth and nine play that resulted in an incompletion. 

With 8:56 remaining in the first half, Eugene was a bit reminiscent of Drew Brees when he went over the top of the pile for a 1-yard quarterback keeper touchdown, extending Destrehan’s lead to 14-0.  

Following a Lynard Harris interception of Ehret passer Wardell Mack, who was playing in place of injured starter Royal Falgout. The score quickly became 21-0 when Shane Lee perhaps showcased the run of the Wildcats’ season thus far, a sweeping cutback from left to right and through significant traffic to bust free for a long touchdown with 5:05 left in the first half. 

“Unbelievable,” Scott said. “That was just an unbelievable run – wow.” 

Charles Coleman generated the lone points of the night for Ehret after returning a kickoff into Destrehan territory and ultimately scoring on a 5-yard run to make it 21-6, which was the score at halftime. 

That wasn’t the way Destrehan wanted to end the half, and Scott said halftime was anything but quiet as a result.  

“It was a pretty spirited halftime,” Scott said. “We were not executing well in the second quarter so halftime wasn’t very fun. But they got the message.” 

Sure did: Destrehan allowed no more points from there. Two consecutive Ehret possessions to begin the second half ended in fumble recoveries for Destrehan, and each added up to points. The first score came on Brandon Freeman’s 5-yard touchdown to make it 28-6. The second was on a bad snap that Anthony Robinson picked up and returned for a 45-yard touchdown – the second defensive score for Robinson in as many weeks.  

“They’ve got several good players. They’re explosive and they score from all over the field. We had to keep them in front, make good tackles and prevent the big plays, and our kids did a real good job.” 

Trey Nixon added a fourth quarter touchdown run to round out the scoring. 


About Ryan Arena 2962 Articles
Sports Editor

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply