Deadly amoeba found in St. Bernard, St. Charles increases water sampling
From staff and wire reports - Sep 19, 2013
After a 4-year-old boy died after contracting a brain-eating amoeba from the St. Bernard Parish’s water supply, St. Charles Parish Waterworks have increased sampling of the parish’s water system to ensure its continued safety.
Effective disinfection is the main method of control against the amoeba, which lives in warm fresh water and becomes deadly when it is breathed in through the nose.
St. Charles Parish routinely monitors chlorine residuals at 77 locations throughout the system, from very near the plant to the end of the line and in between. Additional samples are being taken as a precautionary measure.
Information provided by officials of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals has indicated that in addition to proper chlorination of a water system, overall operation and maintenance is critical in preventing and/or eliminating this threat from the drinking water supply.
St. Charles Parish has always met state and federal regulations and is up to date on preventative maintenance.
Waterworks officials will continue to monitor the situation.
|heraldguide.com is a supplement to St. Charles Herald Guide.
Copyright © 2001 - 2015 St. Charles Herald Guide, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please contact our WebMaster if you experience problems with the website.