|Out of the catastrophe that was Hurricane Katrina, comes new life and hope
July 12, 2006 at 11:44 am
The residents of Chalmette and St. Bernard Parish were struck unusually hard by the infamous killer storm, Katrina.
|Running for glory
July 07, 2006 at 10:41 am
The St. Charles Striders are making headlines once again as they are scheduled to leave for the AAU Junior Olympics in Norfolk, Virginia on July 29 and return on August 6. When asked if this trip would be a welcome vacation, Coach Ulysses Frontha said, "It's work for the coaches as usual. The kids are expected to do great in the Junior Olympics."
|Eating together has its benefits
July 07, 2006 at 10:39 am
(AgapePress) - According to one national organization's research, eating dinner together as a family is not only good for bonding between family members but also cuts down on teens' risks of alcohol and drug addiction.
|The high price of freedom
July 07, 2006 at 10:38 am
Our world has changed a great deal since September 11th. If nothing more, we now know the painful price of freedom and the depths of hatred towards the very things we as Americans take for granted. We have become a country many just love to hate.
|We felt like dancing in the rain
July 07, 2006 at 10:37 am
Watching the rain pour down in St. Charles Parish Monday was one of the greatest sights we have had in quite a while.
|Beating the bite
July 07, 2006 at 10:36 am
There is one good thing about the drier-than-normal weather conditions around Louisiana so far this year. That’s fewer mosquitoes, according to an expert with the LSU AgCenter, who stressed precautions still are needed to prevent mosquito-borne diseases.
July 07, 2006 at 10:33 am
The Mimosa Swim Team traveled to Ormond Country Club to take on their third competitor of the season Wednesday, June 21.
|Levee district says no to videotaped meetings
July 07, 2006 at 10:32 am
The Pontchartrain Levee District will not be videotaping its meetings and forwarding a copy of the tape to all parishes covered by the district, according to a vote taken by the levee district commissioners.
|St. Charles Parish Schools seeking old K-Mart building
July 07, 2006 at 10:30 am
The St. Charles Parish School Board is expected to give the go-ahead for the purchase of the old K-Mart building on Hwy. 90 in Boutte. Shortly before Katrina, the school system had rented and utilized the building for storage and currently seeks to purchase the building for a cost of approximately $1 million.
|An unresolved problem
July 07, 2006 at 10:29 am
When the state appropriations bill emerged from the House, it had a conspicuous passenger - a $150 million line item for hurricane evacuations. Governor Blanco's floor leaders argued that the money was needed to pay state expenses for mandatory evacuations from future hurricanes. That explanation rang hollow to many Capitol observers, since it would equate to seven mandatory evacuations in one year.
|Louisiana is really not a poor state
July 07, 2006 at 10:27 am
Louisiana is often referred to as a “poor state” but that’s not really true.
Our state is rich in natural resources that the entire country and, to a great extent, the entire world is dependent upon.
|Crush loses heartbreaker
July 07, 2006 at 10:25 am
The Mimosa Crush, 13-14 year-old Franchise Team coached by Kerry Savoie, were runner up after losing to Mimosa Boudreaux 7-6.
|Destrehan man charged with child porn
July 07, 2006 at 10:23 am
During the course of March, Shane Helds contacted his ex-girlfriend multiple times by phone and via text messages. Helds, 26, was looking to retrieve some personal items after the relationship dissolved.
|Rescued bald eagle released in Des Allemands
July 07, 2006 at 10:16 am
Last May, Lt. Pamela Schmitt, an animal control officer with the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office, responded to calls from several motorists who witnessed an eagle along the roadside in Des Allemands thatappeared to be injured.
|Lutcher man booked for attempted manslaughter in the parish
July 07, 2006 at 10:12 am
In a domestic dispute gone wrong, a Lutcher man became enraged at the sight of his ex-wife speaking with another man. Coty Foreman, 24, 2403 N. Central St., Lutcher, then fired a gun at his estranged wife's boyfriend’s car.
|House endorses oil royalties plan, Senate brokers compromise
July 07, 2006 at 10:10 am
BATON ROUGE – Louisiana came one step closer last week to realizing its longtime goal of increasing its share of offshore oil and gas royalties when the U.S. House approved legislation that would guarantee $9 billion over the next decade.
|Fatal crash in early morning hours
July 07, 2006 at 9:53 am
Early Thursday morning, on June 29, Louisiana State Police responded to an accident at approximately 4:42 a.m. The incident occurred on LA 18 near Sugarhouse Rd.
July 05, 2006 at 11:12 am
• Coty Foreman, 24, of 2403 N. Central St., Lutcher, was arrested and charged with attempted manslaughter, violation of protective order at Nelson Coleman Correctional Center on June 28. Sheriff Champagne reports that the above subject was arrested on a warrant that was issued on June 28, 2006 for the above charges. On June 27, the above subject allegedly fired one shot at his ex-wife’s boyfriend’s vehicle. Foreman allegedly followed the victim after watching him stop and talk to his ex-wife. As the victim was driving away, Foreman allegedly shot at his vehicle striking his rear door. No one was injured during the incident. Foreman was later apprehended by police.
• Rendy D. Austin, 18, of 141 Adams St., Killona, was arrested and charged with carnal knowledge at LA. Hwy. 18 @ Bradwall St., Luling, on June 28. Sheriff Greg Champagne reports that the above subject was arrested on a warrant that was issued on Nov. 23, 2005 for carnal knowledge of a juvenile. In Nov. 2005, the above subject allegedly had sexual intercourse with a 14 year-old juvenile.
•Shane Helds, 26, of 126 Ormond Village, Destrehan, was arrested and charged with pornography involving a juvenile at Nelson Correctional Center on June 23. Sheriff Champagne reports that the above subject was arrested on two warrants for a total of 23 counts of pornography involving juveniles. In March of 2006, Helds contacted his ex-girlfriend numerous times by phone and by text messaging requesting some of his personal items, specifically his computer and porn. Upon the ex-girlfriend removing the items she discovered a hiding place where several porn DVD’s and CD’s were stored. After reviewing one of the DVD’s she realized that the DVD’s and CD’s contained children engaging in sexual acts with adult males and children engaging in sexual acts alone; at which time she immediately notified the Sheriff’s office. After an investigation, Helds was arrested and booked.
• Rendy Austin, 18, of 141 Adams St., Killona, was arrested and charged with poss. with intent to dist. cocaine, driver must be licensed and seat belt use at LA Hwy. 18 @ Bradwell St., Luling, on June 28. Sheriff Champagne reports that the above subject was stopped for not wearing a seat belt. Further investigation revealed the subject to be wanted and in poss. of cocaine.
Playwriting for Dummies by Angelo Parra is a guide for aspiring playwrights to...
This week’s Humane Society showcase pet is Moet. ...
• Arts, crafts and psychic shine unique light on interesting Alligator Festival merchandise
• Number of Eagle Scouts in St. Charles Parish double national average
• Boutte Wal-Mart gives donation to special needs non-profit
• Satellite Center students visit elementary schools, read to classes
• Book review: “The Warrior’s Heart”
Destrehan running back Will Matthews ran wild against Terrebonne, scoring three...
The Houston Texans lost to the New York Giants 30-17 on Sunday, but two St. Charles...
• Wildcats open district play against high-scoring Terrebonne
• Hahnville fumbles way to victory in triple overtime
• Destrehan regroups in second half to knock off Dutchtown
• LSU will be tested by Bulldog QB
• HHS boys dominate Saints swim meet
Parish zeroes in on Pier 90 to construct public boat launch - 1304 views
After years of searching for an ideal spot to build a public boat launch, St. Charles Parish officials have targeted a popular bar and launch located on Highway 90 in Luling that is set to undergo an expansion.
Calendar of events