ARA- This summer parents are finding clever ways to teach their kids valuable life lessons -- through lemonade. Instead of letting your kids waste away their summer vacations playing video games, encourage them to start up a small business by running a good old-fashioned lemonade stand.
From creating posters to setting up the lemonade stand to squeezing the lemons, kids will get to see firsthand how their hard work can pay off. An even better way to add more meaning to their lemonade sale is by donating some of the proceeds to a local charity thatís close to their heart.
To get your family started, Sunkist offers families fresh lemonade recipes and advice on running a successful lemonade stand for charity through their ďTake a StandĒ program. And while supplies last, Sunkist is giving away free lemonade stands. To qualify, kids must be ages 7 to 12 and must pledge to ďTake a StandĒ for a charity of their choice. More information is at www.sunkist.com/takeastand.
And if youíre not lucky enough to be among the first to get a free lemonade stand, donít be disappointed. Remember, itís about the spirit of the sale and giving back to the community. And itís just as easy to set up and decorate a good, sturdy card table and itíll be more fun to paint your own signs.
A few tips to squeeze the most out of your lemonade sales include:
• Research local charities and let the little one choose a charity close to his or her heart.
• Set your stand up in your front yard or in an area where there is lots of foot traffic.
• Have plenty of ice on hand in an insulated cooler. Use a ladle or tongs to serve the ice.
• Cover the lemonade and ice cubes between servings to keep bugs and dirt out.
• Provide a covered trash container to keep your area clutter-free.
• Post flyers around the neighborhood to get the word out.
• Get attention by decorating your stand with brightly colored balloons and streamers
• Be polite and cheerful. Smile at your customers and always thank them for stopping by, even if they don't buy anything.
• And lastly, be sure to have fun!