St. Charles Herald-Guide

Is your home safe from these electrical hazards?

By Heather R. Breaux - May 16, 2007

Your home is your castle, whether you live in a tiny studio apartment in the city or a sprawling manison in the suburbs. But is your castle really as safe and secure as your think?

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 400 people are electrocuted in the United States every year.

An additional 500 lives are claimed and nearly 1.6 billion in property damage is caused by electrically-related fires.

Given these statistics and with May a National Electrical Safety Month, now is a good time to follow this checklist to ensure your “castle” is truly safe.

Don’t overload outlets. Overloading an outlet can create a fire hazard.

Outlets and switches. Replace any outlet or switch that has broken parts or cracks.

Power cords and extension cords. Examine power cords for fraying or cracking and replace them.

Use of power tools. Don’t use power tools in wet or damp spots, even if they are properly grounded.

Questions? Comment? Email Heather R. Breaux at heatherb@heraldguide.com