How much do you know about ugly litter? To find out, take this fun quiz from Keep Louisiana Beautiful, the state's not-for-profit organization dedicated to litter reduction.
It’s easy. Simply answer the eight true-false questions below, then check your answers. Give yourself 10 points for each correct answer.
True or False1. A banana peel takes two weeks to degrade.
2. Men between the ages of 18- 34 are most likely to litter.3. Louisiana taxpayers annually spend $5 million to support highway litter clean up.
4. The most littered items in Louisiana are fast food bags.5. Louisianans are unable to report someone littering.
6. “Intentional littering” fines in Louisiana can be as much as $1,000.7. Louisiana citizens cannot be fined for accidental littering, such as trash flying out of the bed of a truck.
8. Citizens are not able to get involved with litter-reduction.Answers
1. False. Banana peels take up to two years to degrade. 2. True. 3. False. In Louisiana, taxpayers spend over $15 million each year on highway liter cleanup, even before hurricanes Katrina and Rita. 4. False. The most littered items in Louisiana are cigarette butts, which can take up to five years to decompose. 5. False. Citizens can report littering by calling 1-888-LIT-R-BUG. 6. True. 7. False. The fine for accidental littering is $75. 8. False. For a listing of statewide Keep Louisiana Beautiful affiliate chapters and cleanup events visit www.keeplouisianabeautiful.org.