St. Charles Herald-Guide

Man who raped ex-wife, caused manhunt sentenced

Jonathan Menard - July 5, 2013

A 30-year-old Des Allemands man was sentenced to 15 years in jail after pleading guilty to forcibly raping his ex-wife in 2010.

Eric Gros was originally charged with two counts of aggravated rape, one count of kidnapping, carrying a concealed weapon and convicted felon possessing a firearm, but all of those charges were dismissed in the plea deal. He was previously convicted of simple rape in 2001 and served three years in jail.

Gros caused a widespread manhunt three years ago when authorities say he kidnapped his ex-wife at gunpoint before wrecking his truck and stealing a boat to take her to a camp in Lafourche Parish. According to court records, the ordeal began last year when Gros sent a text message to his ex-wife that said he was visiting family and that his mother thought she had left the coffee maker at his house on.

When the ex showed up to check on the coffee maker, Gros surprised her by grabbing her around the throat, punching her in the face and showing her a gun. Gros then forced his ex-wife into his truck and sped down WPA Road in Des Allemands. He was going so fast that he couldn’t maneuver around a curb and hit a telephone pole, police say.

Gros allegedly forced his ex out of the truck and took her to a cow field, where he raped her. Several hours after Gros left his home, authorities found his truck but were unable to locate Gros or his ex-wife. However, investigators say they did find one of the woman’s shoes.

Authorities canvassed the area all night and even called in the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office to patrol the area with a helicopter. The reason they had difficulty locating Gros is because he reportedly forced his ex-wife into a stolen boat and drove to a camp in Lafourche Parish. The ex-wife told police that Gros broke into the camp and raped her again before she was able to escape.

"(Gros) knew we were closing in on him," St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. Dwayne LaGrange said. "We believe he was constantly on the run and on the move from Saturday night into Sunday morning trying to evade capture."

A day after Gros kidnapped his ex-wife, police were contacted by the woman after she was able to escape. "She was very distraught," LaGrange said. "He physically abused her during the ordeal." The woman was treated at St. Charles Parish Hospital and released.

Gros was arrested later that day after he was found hiding out on Bayou Road.

Man who raped ex-wife, caused manhunt sentenced