Speak with Authority
Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
By Megan Waters - Mar 22, 2007
Experts agree that when you learn a new word, your world becomes a bigger and more interesting place.
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you.
Watch out - two are completely bogus.
Check your answers at the end of column.
Ready? Letís go!
1. Prerogative: a) narrow b) perk c) charm
2. Provincial: a) parent b) countryside c) parochial
3. Simulate: a) feign b) cosmopolitan c) catholic
4. Transcend: a) power b) surpass c) annoyed
5. Umbrage: a) life b) annoyance c) earnestness
6. Unctuous: a) servile b) exceed c) overworked
7. Ameliorate: a) embarrassed b) worsen c) amend.
Answers: 1-B 2-C 3-A 4-B 5-B 6-A 7-C
|heraldguide.com is a supplement to St. Charles Herald Guide.
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 St. Charles Herald Guide, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please contact our WebMaster if you experience problems with the website.