St. Charles Herald Guide

Print

Close Window

Bicentennial trivia ... celebrating our parish’s 200th B-day

By Staff Report -   Feb 15, 2007

Enjoy history? Like trivia? You’ve come to the right place. Because each week on this page, we publish historical tibits in honor of our Bicentennial Year. Here goes:

1. One of three St. Charles Parish middle schools was named after the man who was the parish’s clerk of court in 1900 - J.B. Martin.

2. In 1917, the St. Charles Herald printed its first “piece” of school news on the Moberly School - which was little more than a screened building that protected against mosquitoes.

3. In the early 1900’s the parish’s 74 teachers, all of whom were white, made an average salary of $836 a year.

4. In 1920 the first Bank of St. Charles opened, followed by the Bank of St. Rose which would eventually become St. Charles Bank and Trust.

5. The parish’s first chapter of the Red Cross was formed on Jan. 4, 1928 and within a year, the total membership reached a respectable 1,000.

Read More Stories at HeraldGuide.com!