FBI seizes more records from St. Charles Parish Clerk of Court's Office
By Jonathan Menard - May 08, 2014
The Federal Bureau of Investigation has taken possession of court records concerning a criminal case that occurred during former St. Charles Parish District Attorney Harry Morelís final term in office.
St. Charles Clerk of Court Lance Marino said he was served with a subpoena by the FBI yesterday that asked for all criminal felony records related to Errol Falcon Jr. from Dec. 1, 2009 until May 1, 2014.
Marino said he turned over all of the records, which consisted of one federal case and was about 600 pages long, to the FBI today.
Falcon was arrested in 2009 for burglary and was convicted in 2011. He was sentenced to 15 years in jail after authorities say he was found with more than $100,000 in stolen goods in his residence.
Last year, the FBI was said to be investigating whether Falcon asked his girlfriend, 27-year-old Danelle Keim, to perform sexual acts with Morel in exchange for leniency. Morel served as the parish’s district attorney for 33 years before retiring on May 31, 2011.
However, Keim was found dead on Feb. 9 due to a drug overdose. Her boyfriend at the time, Matthew Savoie, was arrested in connection with Keim’s death because he allegedly provided the drugs that she overdosed on.
In November, Savoie was sentenced to 10 years in prison after he was convicted of distribution of a Schedule I narcotic.
Morel’s attorney, Ralph Capatelli, said last November that a federal official informed him that no charges would be filed against Morel. He said Keim was the prosecution’s only witness and the case collapsed after her death.
“I was informed that the FBI approached certain women who denied any allegations and denied any sort of impropriety,” he said.
However, Kenneth Polite recently took over as U.S. attorney for New Orleans. Now, the FBI is taking another look at Falcon’s case.
This is the second time in the last year that the FBI has subpoenaed records from the St. Charles Parish Clerk of Court’s Office. Last January, they asked for around 1,200 records that included “all individuals who were arrested for driving while intoxicated (DWI) for which court files exist, whether or not the case was prosecuted, not prosecuted, dismissed, refused, or referred to pre-trial intervention.”
|heraldguide.com is a supplement to St. Charles Herald Guide.
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 St. Charles Herald Guide, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please contact our WebMaster if you experience problems with the website.