Luling man sentenced to 20 years after third strike
By Kyle Barnett - Jan 09, 2014
A habitual offender who is alleged to have terrorized a Luling neighborhood by committing several crimes, including attempted murder, recently received 20 years in prison after receiving a third conviction for drug possession.
Jamar Stockman, 28, of 515 Paul Frederick St. in Luling, who is also known in the community as “Marty,” has been incarcerated since his Oct. 19, 2012 arrest for possession of hydrocodone and crack cocaine.
According to the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office, Stockman has been arrested more than 20 times for crimes such as theft, possession and distribution of drugs, reckless operation, aggravated flight from an officer and attempted murder.
Before police tracked Stockman down on Oct. 19, they had multiple warrants out for his arrest.
Only two days prior to his final arrest for drug possession, Stockman was charged with aggravated flight from an officer and child desertion. In that incident, police say that Stockman led them on a car chase on Paul Maillard Road in Luling. After cutting through the parking lot of a local church, Stockman ramped a ditch and sped away from deputies before pulling over into a yard and escaping on foot, according to the police report.
When deputies approached the car they found Stockman had left his 3-month-old son strapped in a child seat in the back of the car as well as a young woman in the passenger seat who identified the driver as Stockman and said she did not know why he had fled the scene.
Four months before that incident, Stockman was also charged with fleeing from deputies who attempted to pull him over after they received a call that Stockman had been selling drugs on Paul Frederick Street in Luling.
In that June 11, 2012 incident, deputies said Stockman pulled into a nearby driveway and fled on foot. When they searched the vehicle they found his driver’s license, a baggy that field tested for crack cocaine, but later tested negative for the substance, and 0.1 grams of marijuana.
Only six days later, on June 17, 2012, Stockman was named as a suspect in an attempted second-degree murder. Witnesses told police he fired several shots from a handgun at another man on Paul Frederick Street before physically attacking him and then fleeing into a nearby field. In that case, once again detectives were unable to locate Stockman.
Stockman was in hiding for nearly four months after that incident.
|heraldguide.com is a supplement to St. Charles Herald Guide.
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 St. Charles Herald Guide, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please contact our WebMaster if you experience problems with the website.