21 snack slimsations that fill you up and won't make you fat
By Derek Clontz -
Jan 04, 2007
Think you can't snack out because you’re dieting? Think again. Here are 21 tasty treats that "weigh in" at 100 calories or less and will help you over those “hunger humps” that can wreck the best of weight-control plans.
1. 12 gum drops - 96 calories. Lots of flavors and colors and they're satisfying, too. Sure, they get stuck in your teeth - but that’s part of the fun.
2. 1/2 cup ice milk - 92 calories. Don’t complain about the weak flavor and thin texture. If you're an ice cream junkie, ice milk is better than nothing.
3. 16 medium shrimp, boiled - 88 calories. Various herbs and a dash of Worcestershire or pepper sauce punches up the flavor for just a few calories more.
4. 1 cup hot-and-hearty tomato soup - 90 calories. So rich, so smoothing, so satisfying.
5. 1 pound - that's right - 1 pound of delicious, vitamin-rich chicory greens seasoned with lemon juice or a splash of apple vinegar - 100 calories.
6. 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt with 1/2 cup fresh strawberries - 96 calories. Pretty fancy fixins’ for just a few calories.
7. 1 ounce beef jerky - 100 calories. One ounce of beef jerky is a lot if you don't get carried away and gobble. With a little effort, this snack could last an hour or more, providing lots of oral gratification.
8. 6-oz grapefruit juice - 80 calories. If you like grapefruit, go for it.
9. 4 pieces bubble gum - 100 calories, and it lasts a long time.
10. 2 slices thin raisin bread. Remember, thin slice, not thick - 90 calories.
11. 2 tablespoons raisins - 70 calories. Careful with raisins ... they're sweet and addictive.
12. 20 jelly beans - 82 calories. Easy there - you must stop at 16.
13. 3 graham crackers - 90 calories. Tried and true antidote for a sweet tooth.
14. 1 sesame breadstick - 56 calories. Hits the spot when you feel like nibbling.
15. 3 cups air-popped popcorn - 93 calories. Herbs and spices will “up the flavor quotient” without adding calories.
16. 1-1/2 cups fresh grapes - 90 calories. Don't overdo it.
17. 1/2 cantaloupe: 80 calories. Filling and delicious.
18. 2 medium apples: 80 calories. the snack doctors don't want you to eat.
19. 3 medium carrots, 90 calories. It’s hard to beat a good carrot.
20. 6 slices melba toast - 80 calories. As noisy and crunchy as any junk food, and just as filling.
21. 10 stalks celery - 80 calories. Crunchy and good for you. 10 stalks? You'll be snacking all day.
Source: Dieter’s Calorie Counter