Are YOU average? Read our story and find out
St. Charles Parish by the numbers
Derek Clontz -
Nov 16, 2006
BOUTTE - You're an average St. Charles parishioner if you're:
1. 34 years old.
3. Share your house with two other people.
4. Earn an annual income of $41,000 if you are a man or - are you ready for this? - $25,000 if you are a woman.
That information comes from no less a source than the U.S. Census Bureau, which paints a statistical picture of our community using the latest-available figures that might surprise you.
Here's the breakdown:
- There are 48,072 people living in 16,411 households in St. Charles Parish. That's three people per house.
- 43 percent of households - about 7,100 - include children under the age of 18.
- 14 percent of households - about 2,300 - are headed up by single women.
- 20 percent of households - about 3,300 - include two or more people who aren't related or married.
- The racial makeup of the parish is 71 percent white ... 25 percent African American ... and 3 percent Hispanic. Native Americans, Asians, Other races make up 1 percent of the total.
- Of the 13,088 families living in the parish, 9.3 percent - about 1,300 - are below the poverty line. The numbers include 2,400 children and 480 senior citizens who, by definition, have no discretionary income, maning that spare change to buy non-essential "luxuries" like a newspaper or a soft drink.
- 30.30% of people - about 14,600 - are under the age of 18.
- 8.30% - about 600 - are ages 18 to 24.
- 31.40% - about 16,500 - are 25 to 44.
- 21.00% - about 10,000 - are 45 to 64.
- 9.00% - about 4,300 - are 65 years of age or older.