St. Charles Herald Guide


Close Window

Hahnville falls to McDonogh 35, 29-21

Jonathan Menard -   No Month/Year

Hahnville’s quest for their first win of the season will have to wait at least one more week as the Tigers fall to McDonogh 35 29-21.

The Tigers (0-4) actually drew first blood on a one-yard quarterback sneak by senior Easton Melancon with 4:35 left in the opening quarter, but the Roneagles struck back to start the second with a 13-yard touchdown run by Carlos Henderson.


On Hahnville’s next possession, running back Lynn Simmons fumbled and McDonogh recovered. That turnover would lead to Henderson’s second touchdown of the game on a one-yard carry with 8:12 left until halftime. Hahnville managed to block the extra point, but the Roneagles still led 13-7.


The Tigers failed to sustain a drive on the ensuing series and gave the ball back to McDonogh with six minutes left in the second quarter. The Hahnville defense then smothered the McDonogh running game and forced the Roneagles to punt from their own endzone.


Hahnville junior defensive end Juvon Murray took advantage of a bad snap and wrapped up McDonogh’s punter. The ball eventually came loose and Juvon Gales scooped it up in the endzone to give the Tigers a 14-13 lead with only four minutes left into the half.


However, the Hahnville lead was short lived. Roneagle running back Isaac Brooks caught a screen pass and took the ball 60 yards for a touchdown. McDonogh scored a two-point conversion to grab the lead at 21-14.


In the third, Murray caused and recovered fumbles on back-to-back drives and the Hahnville offense took advantage of the second turnover. Simmons scored on a 31-yard run through a gap on the right side of the field to tie the game at 21-21.


While it seemed like Hahnville had gained some momentum, McDonogh took it back a few minutes later on a 35-yard run by Henderson, his third touchdown of the game, to give the Roneagles the lead. Brooks scored on a two-point conversion to put McDonogh up 29-21.


Click here to view pictures from the Hahnville-McDonogh 35 game.


Dutchtown runs over Destrehan  

by Kyle Barnett 

Despite Destrehan quarterback Donovan Isom's continued attempts to bring back his team from an early 14 point deficit with much of the game played in a steady rain the Wildcats fell short on their second road game of the season leaving them with a 2-2 record.  

 Isom was impressive in both the passing and rushing games with three rushing touchdowns and a number of long passing gains, but the Griffins' offense completely dominated the Wildcats' defense.  

Dutchtown racked up 42 points on the game mostly on the rushing efforts of quarterback Mason Nickens.   

The Dutchtown offensive line corralled Destrehan's defense with ease, providing plenty of room for the Griffins rushing game to flourish and Nickens enough time to pick apart the Wildcats in the passing game.  

A critical moment came on the final drive of the first half after Isom drove the Wildcats down the field with under two minutes left. With five seconds to go in the half the Wildcats found themselves on the six yard line and opted for a 22-yard field goal try that went far right off the foot of Destrehan kicker Cameron Walsh and left them going into the locker room trailing 21-7.  

In the second half the Griffins marched down the field on their first drive to bring the score up 28-7. Destrehan faltered on the next drive and were forced to punt, but an incomplete lateral pass by Nickens was ruled a fumble and the Wildcats recovered in Griffins territory.  

Isom would convert the turnover by peeling off a long run to the Griffins' three yard line, which he followed up on the next play with a quarterback keeper for a touchdown. Down 28-14 and with momentum on their side it looked like Destrehan had a chance at a comeback, but Dutchtown came back with another touchdown to make it 35-14.  

Isom once again took Destrehan down the field and scored another rushing touchdown making it 35-21 with over seven minutes left to play.  

The ensuing drive by the Griffins lasted about four minutes with numerous rushes ending with a rushing touchdown to bring the score to 42-21.  

With the game out of reach Isom desperately drove the Wildcats down the field with a few midrange passes but overthrew a receiver deep in the Griffins territory and was picked off by Dutchtown defensive back Chris Collins.  

The Dutchtown offense finished out the game by downing the ball and went home with a 42-21 victory.  

The Wildcats begin district play in their next game when they face off against L.W. Higgins (1-2) at home on Oct. 5.


Click here to view photos of the Destrehan versus Dutchtown game.

Read More Stories at!