Start saving money at the grocery store now
LSU AgCenter Extension Agent
If you shop smart, you can live on a tight budget and still have a healthy diet. Get the most out of your food dollar by adopting the following practices:
1. Don't shop when you are hungry - You are likely to buy more food. Have a small snack before you go grocery shopping.
2. Make a grocery list before you go the store. Buy only what is on the list.
3. Choose the grocery store that will give you the most for your money. Supermarkets will nearly always have lower prices than small stores because they can buy their stock in larger quantities.
4. Compare prices by using cost per unit of various foods. The "unit price" is usually listed on the grocery shelf. The unit price is the cost of the item per ounce, quart, gallon, pound or any other unit of measure.
5. Buy store brands instead of highly advertised brands. Store brands are often just as good quality as the name brands.
6. Instant nonfat dry milk usually costs less per serving than fresh milk and can save you a great deal of money if you use it for cooking or drinking. Mix it half and half with fresh milk for drinking and get the flavor of fresh milk.
7. Save money by purchasing a whole chicken and cutting it into parts yourself.
8. Ground beef (hamburger) is usually a good buy, if it is fairly lean. Extra-lean ground beef will yield more meat when cooked.
9. Compare the cost of medium and large eggs. If the price of large eggs is more than 7 cents above the medium, medium size are the best buy.
10. Pasta (macaroni, spaghetti, noodles) is a good buy for price and good nutrition. Plain shapes of pasta are usually less expensive than fancy shapes. Whole grain is higher in fiber than white, although it may cost more.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Clint Chiasson has an insatiable drive to be the best. Sometimes, it’s all that...
Although St. Charles Parish officials don’t have a figure yet, they’re saying the...
Becky Savage recently received a dose of amazing news when doctors informed the...
Destrehan hasn’t lost many games over the past two seasons. In fact, the Wildcats...
With this week’s arrest of a New Orleans East man, Jolene Dufrene may have gotten...
An emotional Jamie Loyacono of Metairie pointed to a photograph, one of many in a...
Affordable Appliance Repair is a small family owned business you can trust. We work on all kitchen and laundry products. With same day or next day service, call us and we come to you!
Arrest made in murder of Des Allemands woman found dead in burning car - 6638 views
A 30-year-old Eastern New Orleans man as been arrested and accused of murdering Des Allemands resident Lindsay Nichols, who was found shot to death June 21 in the trunk of her black Honda Accord when firefighters and police responded to a car fire at the intersection of Lake Forest and Michoud boulevards.