Start saving money at the grocery store now
By Deniese Zeringue
LSU AgCenter Extension Agent
If you shop smart, you can live on a tight budget and still have a healthy diet. Get the most out of your food dollar by adopting the following practices:
1. Don't shop when you are hungry - You are likely to buy more food. Have a small snack before you go grocery shopping.
2. Make a grocery list before you go the store. Buy only what is on the list.
3. Choose the grocery store that will give you the most for your money. Supermarkets will nearly always have lower prices than small stores because they can buy their stock in larger quantities.
4. Compare prices by using cost per unit of various foods. The "unit price" is usually listed on the grocery shelf. The unit price is the cost of the item per ounce, quart, gallon, pound or any other unit of measure.
5. Buy store brands instead of highly advertised brands. Store brands are often just as good quality as the name brands.
6. Instant nonfat dry milk usually costs less per serving than fresh milk and can save you a great deal of money if you use it for cooking or drinking. Mix it half and half with fresh milk for drinking and get the flavor of fresh milk.
7. Save money by purchasing a whole chicken and cutting it into parts yourself.
8. Ground beef (hamburger) is usually a good buy, if it is fairly lean. Extra-lean ground beef will yield more meat when cooked.
9. Compare the cost of medium and large eggs. If the price of large eggs is more than 7 cents above the medium, medium size are the best buy.
10. Pasta (macaroni, spaghetti, noodles) is a good buy for price and good nutrition. Plain shapes of pasta are usually less expensive than fancy shapes. Whole grain is higher in fiber than white, although it may cost more.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald Guide is the complete local news in St. Charles Parish, Louisiana.
Get your local news, sports and information from the Parish's award winning paper.
St. Charles Herald Guide has what you need.
Two juveniles and a 25-year-old man have been arrested in connection with two...
Parish President V.J. St. Pierre, along with eight other parish presidents and...
The Port of South Louisiana will soon see a change in leadership after Joel T....
In the still darkness of the morning, three crabbers in a pickup truck arrived at...
Most graduating seniors do not come close to scoring a 27 on the ACT test, but...
The Hahnville Tigers finished with 12 points at the LHSAA State Track and Field...
Yes, you've seen us. Maison Decor is the premier home decor retail store located on highway 90 where Boutte meets Luling. So stop, come on in and you'll be surprised!
Police dog sniffs out suspected burglar - 1101 views
With the assistance of a K-9 officer, police were able to track down a 23-year-old man who reportedly stole items from a car and broke into a house early Friday morning.