HHS fire causes $100,000 in damage
An electrical fire in the art room of Hahnville High School melted equipment and sent smoke billowing through the school.
Schools spokeswoman Rochelle Cancienne-Touchard said that the fire department was on the scene within 10 minutes and that the fire was put out before it could spread to any other area of the school.
Cancienne-Touchard said that the fire was caused by electrical equipment in the room, like computers, printers and scanners.
She added that despite the building being full of smoke, the only damage done was in the art room and the common area.
Electrical equipment and one wall in the room will have to be replaced and water damage from the emergency sprinklers leaked into the carpet in the school’s common area, where the lockers are located.
Cancienne-Touchard said that the carpet will be replaced and that all repairs will be done before the start of the school year in August.
The repairs will cost around $105,000, not including school custodian or maintenance worker labor costs, Cancienne-Touchard said.
The fire happened just a week after an art camp at the school ended.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Beginning April 1, St. Charles Parish Hospital will ban smoking throughout the...
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested and charged a Boutte woman with...
Pastor Don Logan, of Boutte, was coming back from a meeting in Alexandria when the...
Like just about every high school sports team, the Destrehan girls basketball team...
A Killona man faces felony animal cruelty charges after the St. Charles Parish...
When Hahnville wrestler Kendrick Jones won the LHSAA Division I state championship...
Says Dr. Thorson, “We recommend that a child’s first visit be when the first tooth comes in, so we can set the stage for oral health through proper nutrition and hygiene.” Dr. Thorson is on call 24 hours a day. Her office is now open and taking appoint
Luling Winn-Dixie flasher pleads guilty - 891 views
A 19-year-old Ama man accused of flashing two shoppers at the Winn-Dixie in Luling will avoid further jail time but must obtain a mental health evaluation.