Here’s what to do if hurricane heads here
1. Be sure you have a couple flashlights handy and make sure they work - like having batteries that are fully charged.
2. Make sure your car has enough gas in it at all times to make it to safe ground. That may also require a filled gas can in the shed, depending on how much your car holds.
3. If you want to spend about $800 and avoid the possibility of cleaning up spoiled food later, buy a small generator that you can plug your refrigerator, freezer and other essential electrical appliances into in case the electricity goes off, which it has been known to do even in minor blows.
And this is a good weekend to make that purchase since there is no state sales tax on hurricane preparation equipment such as generators.
4. Plan what clothes you will take for a one week stay at a motel or considerate relative’s house. Put them on one side of your closet so you won’t have to sort them out when the blows get close.
5. Make plan A, B and C as to what direction you will go if the storm is expected to go northwest, north or northeast after hitting the coast.
6. Stock up on a few groceries in case the storm is not bad enough to evacuate for but could interfere with finding a store that is open. And in case you didn’t buy that generator and the electricity goes off, be prepared with some canned and other food products that do not need refrigeration.
7. Make sure loose stuff in the yard and under your carport are secure enough to weather severe winds or bring them inside for the season.
8. And if, by chance, we have a category three or higher storm come our way, leave the area. If you resist, say a prayer or two and get a good book to read. You may want to think about something other than what is going on outside.
Considering the kind of year 2016 has been for St. Charles Parish Sheriff's...
Diagnosed with a brain tumor at age 7, Kacey Marse knows how important the family...
ITT Technical Institute's closing had student Zina Richards calling the VA suicide...
"I am no longer keeping your secrets. I am no longer going to be one of your...
St. Charles Parish police are seeking the public’s help in locating a man charged...
With a roller coaster ride of a game tied at 28 with 10 seconds left, and the eyes...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Riverside stifles Hahnville in 19-8 victory - 1129 views
While Hahnville and Destrehan’s clash next week won’t lack for hype, it won’t be a battle of undefeated teams.