Here’s what to do if hurricane heads here
1. Be sure you have a couple flashlights handy and make sure they work - like having batteries that are fully charged.
2. Make sure your car has enough gas in it at all times to make it to safe ground. That may also require a filled gas can in the shed, depending on how much your car holds.
3. If you want to spend about $800 and avoid the possibility of cleaning up spoiled food later, buy a small generator that you can plug your refrigerator, freezer and other essential electrical appliances into in case the electricity goes off, which it has been known to do even in minor blows.
And this is a good weekend to make that purchase since there is no state sales tax on hurricane preparation equipment such as generators.
4. Plan what clothes you will take for a one week stay at a motel or considerate relative’s house. Put them on one side of your closet so you won’t have to sort them out when the blows get close.
5. Make plan A, B and C as to what direction you will go if the storm is expected to go northwest, north or northeast after hitting the coast.
6. Stock up on a few groceries in case the storm is not bad enough to evacuate for but could interfere with finding a store that is open. And in case you didn’t buy that generator and the electricity goes off, be prepared with some canned and other food products that do not need refrigeration.
7. Make sure loose stuff in the yard and under your carport are secure enough to weather severe winds or bring them inside for the season.
8. And if, by chance, we have a category three or higher storm come our way, leave the area. If you resist, say a prayer or two and get a good book to read. You may want to think about something other than what is going on outside.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Although Randall “Randy” Harvey had an idea he might be named Destrehan High School...
The best defensive safety in NFL history is how six-time Pro Bowl selected Raven’s...
Domestic violence cases have more than doubled in St. Charles Parish this year,...
Tigers, Wildcats place 20 on All-District Team...
Saying “someone tipped them off,” a New Orleans watchdog group says it obtained...
A St. Rose man has received a mandatory sentence of life in prison for the 2012...
It's All About You Interiors will help you turn your dream home into reality! At The Potting Shed Florist it is our mission to bring life and joy through the use of flowers and gardens!
DHS graduate affirms nursing career doing missionary work in Mexico - 887 views
What Sarah Smith learned on mission trips to Mexico will stay with her through life.