Here’s what to do if hurricane heads here
1. Be sure you have a couple flashlights handy and make sure they work - like having batteries that are fully charged.
2. Make sure your car has enough gas in it at all times to make it to safe ground. That may also require a filled gas can in the shed, depending on how much your car holds.
3. If you want to spend about $800 and avoid the possibility of cleaning up spoiled food later, buy a small generator that you can plug your refrigerator, freezer and other essential electrical appliances into in case the electricity goes off, which it has been known to do even in minor blows.
And this is a good weekend to make that purchase since there is no state sales tax on hurricane preparation equipment such as generators.
4. Plan what clothes you will take for a one week stay at a motel or considerate relative’s house. Put them on one side of your closet so you won’t have to sort them out when the blows get close.
5. Make plan A, B and C as to what direction you will go if the storm is expected to go northwest, north or northeast after hitting the coast.
6. Stock up on a few groceries in case the storm is not bad enough to evacuate for but could interfere with finding a store that is open. And in case you didn’t buy that generator and the electricity goes off, be prepared with some canned and other food products that do not need refrigeration.
7. Make sure loose stuff in the yard and under your carport are secure enough to weather severe winds or bring them inside for the season.
8. And if, by chance, we have a category three or higher storm come our way, leave the area. If you resist, say a prayer or two and get a good book to read. You may want to think about something other than what is going on outside.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Destrehan’s best football season in years came to an end on Friday with a 35-7 loss...
A 20-year-old St. Rose man has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder...
The Louisiana Attorney General’s Office recently ruled that free dumpsters provided...
As Christmas approaches once again and families scramble to fulfill gift lists,...
In order to ease the concerns of residents who live near Bunge North...
After 15 years, Mary desBordes will step down as director of the St. Charles Parish...
Destrehan Donuts and Grill is serving up more than just donuts which are baked fresh everyday! Try our hot breakfast combo plates and delicious omelets. Come check us out for lunch and dinner too. Our friendly staff is waiting to take care of you!
Destrehan falls short of state championship appearance in semi-final loss to Acadiana - 1102 views
The Destrehan Wildcats' hopes for another state championship were dashed when they fell to the Acadiana Rams in the semi-final round of the playoffs.