Parish picking up lunch tab for teens, children
Free summer lunch program cost parish $55,000 last year, served more than 8,000 hot meals
Last year, the parish spent $67,128.34 on the program and was reimbursed $12,000 from the Louisiana Department of Education, which served as co-sponsor. And while more than 8,000 meals were served last summer, the parish expects the turnout to be even bigger this year.
“There was a 25 percent increase from 2007 to 2008, and we expect to serve more this year,” Community Services Director Maurya Glaude said. “We want to get the word out that there are free lunches available for children and teens across the parish.”
From June 8 through July 16, lunches will be available at Albert Cammon Middle School, Luling Elementary and E.J. Landry Alternative School from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
Foods such as red beans and rice, spaghetti and meatballs, fresh fruit and homemade drop rolls are just some of the things that will be on the menu during that time.
No child or teenager under the age of 18 living in the parish can be turned away from the program, whether their parents make $20,000 a year or $120,000.
“That state doesn’t allow us to discriminate based on socio-economic backgrounds, so we can’t just offer meals to low income children,” Glaude said. “We offer them to everyone under 18.”
In fact, even those over the age of 18 that have disabilities qualify for the free meal.
“Handicapped citizens that are over 18 are also eligible, as long as they are accredited with a state institution,” Glaude said.
Registration is not required for the meals, and those eligible just have to get dropped off at one of the schools or bussed to the closest location. Pick-up spots are located in Des Allemands, Paradis, Ama, Luling, Boutte, Hahnville, Montz, Norco, New Sarpy, St. Rose and Killona. For a complete list, visit the parish’s Web site at www.stcharlesparish-la.gov.
“If there are any bus stops that aren’t on the list, we always leave open the option for residents to call us so that we can arrange a ride,” Glaude said.
The program was created by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to ensure that children in lower-income areas could continue to receive nutritious meals during the summer. The program is the single largest federal resource available for local sponsors who want to combine a feeding program with a summer activity program.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
St. Charles Parish residents will be able to visit one spot for most of their...
A 21-year-old Montz man was arrested and charged with obscenity after a motorist on...
The Destrehan Lady Wildcats lost only their second game all season when they fell...
After more than a decade battling the St. Charles Parish Council in an attempt to...
An auto theft ring operating in St. Charles Parish is targeting Chevrolet trucks...
Family and friends gathered on Sunday to celebrate the first birthday of Jade...
CASA recruits, trains and supervises volunteers who serve as powerful voices for abused and neglected children.
Industries face stricter regulation of flaring systems - 765 views
The release of toxic, potentially hazardous gases into the atmosphere through local industrial flares, such as those at local refineries, may face stricter regulation after a successful push by a local environmental group.