The Cook's Corner
Turkey and White Bean Chili
|Photo and recipe provided by Emeril Lagasse|
- 1/2 pound dried navy beans, picked over
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Southwest Essence, recipe follows
- 1 2/3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Ro'tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles (original), undrained
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro stems
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sour cream, for serving
- Grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, for serving
- Chopped green onions, for serving
In a large kettle, soak beans in cold water to cover by 2 inches overnight.
Drain beans in a colander and return to kettle with enough water to cover by 2 inches.
Cook beans at a bare simmer until just tender, about 1 hour, and drain in a colander.
In a skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion and jalapeno until soft and beginning to caramelize, 4 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the ground turkey, Southwest Essence, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is browned and cooked through, 6 minutes.
Add the cornmeal and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, canned tomatoes, canned chiles, and cilantro stems and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After it has cooked for 30 minutes, add the cooked beans.
Add the heavy cream and cilantro leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes longer.
Serve the chili in deep bowls, garnished with dollops of sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and green onions to taste.Emeril Lagasse’s Southwest Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
A pipe malfunction is reportedly behind a powerful explosion that was felt...
Signs supporting the Krewe of Zeus’ plans to parade through Ormond Boulevard in...
Opinions vary on whether Parish President V.J. St. Pierre’s administration must...
Ever since new Hahnville football coach Nick Saltaformaggio took over the program...
A new online job connection program that seeks to match the skill set of job...
Two teens will not spend any additional time in jail after admitting they lured a...
Air Conditioning & Heating equipment sales, service and installation. Home standby and commercial generators, sales, service and installation. Indoor air quality products, solar products. Locally owned and operated, since 1985. Call us for a free consult
Donation clears way for bed and breakfast at Destrehan Plantation - 1346 views
Destrehan Plantation has received a major donation that will go toward construction of a nearly $1.8 million renovation that includes the creation of a bed and breakfast on the property.