The Cook's Corner
Turkey and White Bean Chili
|Photo and recipe provided by Emeril Lagasse|
- 1/2 pound dried navy beans, picked over
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Southwest Essence, recipe follows
- 1 2/3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Ro'tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles (original), undrained
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro stems
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sour cream, for serving
- Grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, for serving
- Chopped green onions, for serving
In a large kettle, soak beans in cold water to cover by 2 inches overnight.
Drain beans in a colander and return to kettle with enough water to cover by 2 inches.
Cook beans at a bare simmer until just tender, about 1 hour, and drain in a colander.
In a skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion and jalapeno until soft and beginning to caramelize, 4 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the ground turkey, Southwest Essence, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is browned and cooked through, 6 minutes.
Add the cornmeal and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, canned tomatoes, canned chiles, and cilantro stems and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After it has cooked for 30 minutes, add the cooked beans.
Add the heavy cream and cilantro leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes longer.
Serve the chili in deep bowls, garnished with dollops of sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and green onions to taste.Emeril Lagasse’s Southwest Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The Hahnville cross country boys and girls teams each recently won the 7-5A...
A New Orleans man has been reported dead from an apparent gunshot wound to the head...
Last weekend’s Destrehan Plantation festival marked the end of a 44-year tradition...
Larry Cochran is still getting used to the election results that say he won the St....
While many of the teams remaining in the prep football postseason will be adjusting...
St. Charles Parish’s share of the BP and Transocean settlements from the Deep Water...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Parish President candidates discuss importance of communication - 672 views
Communication has often been cited as a key issue when it comes to making sure the parish council, the parish president and the many parish departments work together efficiently and effectively. If elected, what will you institute to ensure good communication between parish governmental agencies?