The Cook's Corner
Cajun File' Gumbo
|Recipe and photo courtesy of NolaCuisine.com|
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup andouille sausage, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup tasso, diced
- 3 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 8 cups shrimp or seafood stock
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 4 chicken thighs, boned cut into pieces, then seasoned liberally with Creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce to taste
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 dozen oysters, shucked
- Kosher salt to taste, if necessary
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Creole boiled rice
- Fresh French bread
- Filé powder at the table
1. Mix your onion, celery, and bell pepper together.
2. Heat the oil in a cast-iron dutch oven or skillet over medium heat.
3. Whisk in the flour and cook to make a milk chocolate-colored roux.
4. Add the andouille sausage, 1 tbsp. of seasoning, and 3/4 of the onion, celery and bell pepper, cook, stirring often, for about ten minutes or until the vegetables soften.
5. Gradually whisk in the stock, then add the remaining seasoning, and garlic.
6. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the chicken and simmer until cooked through.
8. About 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve add the shrimp, cook until done, then add the oysters and cook until the edges curl.
9. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, and a half of the green onions.
10. Serve with Creole boiled rice, crusty French bread, and a good cold beer
11. Garnish with green onions, parsley, and filé powder at the table.
Got a great recipe? If so, send yours to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at email@example.com. Questions? 985-758-2795.
Randy Breaux Jr. loves his job, and it shows in his work ethic and eagerness to...
Calling it a "unique opportunity" for Monsanto Co., engineering work for the...
Ready for work in his camouflage pants and a "Louisiana Yard Dog" T-shirt, St....
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office partnered with Louisiana Alcohol and...
St. Charles Parish Hospital Board Chairman John Landry III was arrested and charged...
John J. Landry III's future as chairman of the St. Charles Parish Hospital Board is...
Craig's Barber Shop has been locally owned and operated for over 25 years. We do men, women, and children's haircuts. Come in and enjoy that unique barber shop experience! Walk in and relax a while with Craig, Cheryl, and Angel!
Employee of the Year loves his work, fellow workers also honored - 1282 views
Randy Breaux Jr. loves his job, and it shows in his work ethic and eagerness to help his co-workers.