The Cook's Corner
Cajun File' Gumbo
|Recipe and photo courtesy of NolaCuisine.com|
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup andouille sausage, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup tasso, diced
- 3 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 8 cups shrimp or seafood stock
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 4 chicken thighs, boned cut into pieces, then seasoned liberally with Creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce to taste
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 dozen oysters, shucked
- Kosher salt to taste, if necessary
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Creole boiled rice
- Fresh French bread
- Filé powder at the table
1. Mix your onion, celery, and bell pepper together.
2. Heat the oil in a cast-iron dutch oven or skillet over medium heat.
3. Whisk in the flour and cook to make a milk chocolate-colored roux.
4. Add the andouille sausage, 1 tbsp. of seasoning, and 3/4 of the onion, celery and bell pepper, cook, stirring often, for about ten minutes or until the vegetables soften.
5. Gradually whisk in the stock, then add the remaining seasoning, and garlic.
6. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the chicken and simmer until cooked through.
8. About 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve add the shrimp, cook until done, then add the oysters and cook until the edges curl.
9. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, and a half of the green onions.
10. Serve with Creole boiled rice, crusty French bread, and a good cold beer
11. Garnish with green onions, parsley, and filé powder at the table.
Got a great recipe? If so, send yours to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at email@example.com. Questions? 985-758-2795.
Early on this fall, Destrehan fans won’t generally have to go far to see their...
John Paul Devillier, charged with attempted first-degree murder after allegedly...
Hahnville coach Nick Saltaformaggio remembers a struggle last year against Jesuit,...
When Ron Dufrene began experiencing shortness of breath and other forms of...
Sarah VanEtta, Sarah Boquet and Gina Escude all attend different schools, but the...
Former St. Charles Parish District Attorney Harry Morel Jr. was sentenced to three...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
St. Charles boaters aid flood victims, join Cajun Navy - 3152 views
Operating on little sleep and a great desire to help, a large group of St. Charles Parish residents assembled at the West Bank Bridge Park Monday morning before helping rescue flood victims from record flooding in Louisiana.