The Cook's Corner
Cajun File' Gumbo
|Recipe and photo courtesy of NolaCuisine.com|
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup andouille sausage, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup tasso, diced
- 3 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 8 cups shrimp or seafood stock
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 4 chicken thighs, boned cut into pieces, then seasoned liberally with Creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce to taste
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 dozen oysters, shucked
- Kosher salt to taste, if necessary
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Creole boiled rice
- Fresh French bread
- Filé powder at the table
1. Mix your onion, celery, and bell pepper together.
2. Heat the oil in a cast-iron dutch oven or skillet over medium heat.
3. Whisk in the flour and cook to make a milk chocolate-colored roux.
4. Add the andouille sausage, 1 tbsp. of seasoning, and 3/4 of the onion, celery and bell pepper, cook, stirring often, for about ten minutes or until the vegetables soften.
5. Gradually whisk in the stock, then add the remaining seasoning, and garlic.
6. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the chicken and simmer until cooked through.
8. About 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve add the shrimp, cook until done, then add the oysters and cook until the edges curl.
9. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, and a half of the green onions.
10. Serve with Creole boiled rice, crusty French bread, and a good cold beer
11. Garnish with green onions, parsley, and filé powder at the table.
Got a great recipe? If so, send yours to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at email@example.com. Questions? 985-758-2795.
Rene Champagne of Luling considers himself a fortunate man....
An Edgard man accused of making threatening comments to police officers through...
St. Charles Parish Deputy Phillip Matherne smiled heartily as he recounted his time...
The Benefit Golf Tournament for Chad Grosch will take place Saturday, Aug. 20 at...
Announcement of St. Charles Parish's first major subdivision in more than eight...
Without a tax increase, St. Charles Parish Council could be dealing with a...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
Home builder demand drives market growth in parish - 1371 views
Announcement of St. Charles Parish's first major subdivision in more than eight years was spurred by one thing - demand.