The Cook's Corner
Cajun File' Gumbo
|Recipe and photo courtesy of NolaCuisine.com|
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup andouille sausage, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup tasso, diced
- 3 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 8 cups shrimp or seafood stock
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 4 chicken thighs, boned cut into pieces, then seasoned liberally with Creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce to taste
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 dozen oysters, shucked
- Kosher salt to taste, if necessary
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Creole boiled rice
- Fresh French bread
- Filé powder at the table
1. Mix your onion, celery, and bell pepper together.
2. Heat the oil in a cast-iron dutch oven or skillet over medium heat.
3. Whisk in the flour and cook to make a milk chocolate-colored roux.
4. Add the andouille sausage, 1 tbsp. of seasoning, and 3/4 of the onion, celery and bell pepper, cook, stirring often, for about ten minutes or until the vegetables soften.
5. Gradually whisk in the stock, then add the remaining seasoning, and garlic.
6. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the chicken and simmer until cooked through.
8. About 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve add the shrimp, cook until done, then add the oysters and cook until the edges curl.
9. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, and a half of the green onions.
10. Serve with Creole boiled rice, crusty French bread, and a good cold beer
11. Garnish with green onions, parsley, and filé powder at the table.
Got a great recipe? If so, send yours to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at email@example.com. Questions? 985-758-2795.
Stepping on the front yard of Unit 201, Sabrina Ratcliff Lewis immediately recalled...
Derrick Scott and Kelsey Gwyn Neff were told to prepare for the possibility their...
Recognized as an educator who inspires students toward conservation and the...
Destrehan basketball star Cara Ursin has left a tough act to follow, that much is...
Katie Beuttner has always loved the water....
The St. Charles Parish Council cleared the way for a Southeastern Freight Lines...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Lady Tigers ready for return to state tournament - 1487 views
Hahnville senior outfielder Pryscilla Prince has never played a game at the state softball tournament in Sulphur, nor have any of her teammates. That’s about to change.