The Cook's Corner
Cajun File' Gumbo
|Recipe and photo courtesy of NolaCuisine.com|
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup andouille sausage, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup tasso, diced
- 3 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 8 cups shrimp or seafood stock
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 4 chicken thighs, boned cut into pieces, then seasoned liberally with Creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce to taste
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 dozen oysters, shucked
- Kosher salt to taste, if necessary
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Creole boiled rice
- Fresh French bread
- Filé powder at the table
1. Mix your onion, celery, and bell pepper together.
2. Heat the oil in a cast-iron dutch oven or skillet over medium heat.
3. Whisk in the flour and cook to make a milk chocolate-colored roux.
4. Add the andouille sausage, 1 tbsp. of seasoning, and 3/4 of the onion, celery and bell pepper, cook, stirring often, for about ten minutes or until the vegetables soften.
5. Gradually whisk in the stock, then add the remaining seasoning, and garlic.
6. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the chicken and simmer until cooked through.
8. About 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve add the shrimp, cook until done, then add the oysters and cook until the edges curl.
9. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, and a half of the green onions.
10. Serve with Creole boiled rice, crusty French bread, and a good cold beer
11. Garnish with green onions, parsley, and filé powder at the table.
Got a great recipe? If so, send yours to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at email@example.com. Questions? 985-758-2795.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Although Randall “Randy” Harvey had an idea he might be named Destrehan High School...
HBO is back in St. Charles Parish filming an eight-part series called “Quarry” that...
In the many years that Barry Minnich has been with the Luling Volunteer Fire...
Hahnville’s Brandon Singleton won both the 110-and 300-meter hurdle events in the...
After finishing last season 14-1 and losing a host of key players to graduation,...
Julian Turner did his best and “just kind of ran into” being named salutatorian for...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Hahnville senior leaps to state championships - 1513 views
Hahnville’s Brandon Singleton won both the 110-and 300-meter hurdle events in the Class 5A LHSAA’s Outdoor Track and Field State Championships on Saturday.