The Cook's Corner
Cajun File' Gumbo
|Recipe and photo courtesy of NolaCuisine.com|
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup andouille sausage, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup tasso, diced
- 3 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 8 cups shrimp or seafood stock
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 4 chicken thighs, boned cut into pieces, then seasoned liberally with Creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce to taste
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 dozen oysters, shucked
- Kosher salt to taste, if necessary
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Creole boiled rice
- Fresh French bread
- Filé powder at the table
1. Mix your onion, celery, and bell pepper together.
2. Heat the oil in a cast-iron dutch oven or skillet over medium heat.
3. Whisk in the flour and cook to make a milk chocolate-colored roux.
4. Add the andouille sausage, 1 tbsp. of seasoning, and 3/4 of the onion, celery and bell pepper, cook, stirring often, for about ten minutes or until the vegetables soften.
5. Gradually whisk in the stock, then add the remaining seasoning, and garlic.
6. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the chicken and simmer until cooked through.
8. About 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve add the shrimp, cook until done, then add the oysters and cook until the edges curl.
9. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, and a half of the green onions.
10. Serve with Creole boiled rice, crusty French bread, and a good cold beer
11. Garnish with green onions, parsley, and filé powder at the table.
Got a great recipe? If so, send yours to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions? 985-758-2795.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald Guide is the complete local news in St. Charles Parish, Louisiana.
Get your local news, sports and information from the Parish's award winning paper.
St. Charles Herald Guide has what you need.
Little more than a week after officials from 14 parishes took a trip to Washington,...
The Port of South Louisiana will soon see a change in leadership after Joel T....
Dr. Rodney Lafon boiled down his decision to announce his retirement last month to...
In the still darkness of the morning, three crabbers in a pickup truck arrived at...
Most graduating seniors do not come close to scoring a 27 on the ACT test, but...
The St. Charles Parish Council has hired attorney Tim Marcel to represent them...
Need your smart phone device repaired, customized, or dressed up? Come see us! iSupply specializes in screen repair for iphones, ipads, and ipods. We also offer a wide variety of accessories including Otterbox and Speck Candyshell.
Speed patrols return to I-310 after months-long absence - 1696 views
Over the past four months, those who often travel the elevated portions of I-10 and I-310 in St. Charles Parish have noticed a lack of state troopers on the interstate.