The Cook’s Corner
Red Beans and Rice
|Photo and recipe courtesy of nolacuisine.com.|
- 2 tbsp Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere’s works)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup Cajun andouille sausage, cubed
- 1/2 lb. small red beans (soaked overnight or for at least a few hours)
- 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- A bundle of fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 boiled rice
1. Mix together the onions, celery and bell pepper. Drain the beans.
2. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper mixture, 1 tbsp. of the Creole seasoning and the andouille together and heat to medium high in a large pot. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock or water, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, ham hock, the remaining vegetables and Creole seasoning.
5. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for up to 2 1/2 hours.
6. Stir occasionally the first hour, making sure that the beans are covered with the liquid.
7. During the second hour, you want to check the meal more often. The beans will really start to absorb some liquid and you don’t want them to stick.
8. Also during the second hour, you want to remove the ham hock, trim away any meat and add it back to the pot.
9. After the beans have cooked for two hours, add the tomato sauce, parsley and half of the green onions.
10. Make your rice and cook the beans for another half hour.
For the smoked sausage:
1. Place the link(s) of smoked sausage in a medium sized cast-iron skillet.
2. Cover half way with water and bring to a boil.
3. Turn often, as the water evaporates, until all that is left in the pan is fat from the sausage.
4. Brown the casings of the sausage in the remaining fat, serve hot.
1. Remove the bay leaves.
2. Mound 1/2 cup of rice each, onto two serving plates.
3. Cover with a generous helping of the red beans and Garnish with the remaining green onions.
4. Top with hot sauce.
Perfect compliments to this meal are a simple vinaigrette salad, a side of smoked sausage, French bread.
Got a great recipe? If so, send it with a photo of the completed meal to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at email@example.com. Please include your name and phone number.
Surreal was the word both Hahnville freshman gymnast Kamryn Ryan and coach Courtney...
Joshua Magee of Hahnville and his new best friend Yellow the dog have both required...
The odds said Zachary Hitt would never have the opportunity to attend his high...
When Blake Schouest was 12 years, his aunt brought him to the lab at MD Anderson...
Hahnville head coach Nick Saltaformaggio didn’t hold back his enthusiasm after his...
Craig's Barber Shop has been locally owned and operated for over 25 years. We do men, women, and children's haircuts. Come in and enjoy that unique barber shop experience! Walk in and relax a while with Craig, Cheryl, and Angel!
Harry Hurst Cox Inspirational Heroes Award Winner - 1158 views
Harry Hurst Middle School named eight-grader Justin Mata as its recipient of the 2016 Cox Inspirational Heroes Award.