The Cook’s Corner
Red Beans and Rice
|Photo and recipe courtesy of nolacuisine.com.|
- 2 tbsp Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere’s works)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup Cajun andouille sausage, cubed
- 1/2 lb. small red beans (soaked overnight or for at least a few hours)
- 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- A bundle of fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 boiled rice
1. Mix together the onions, celery and bell pepper. Drain the beans.
2. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper mixture, 1 tbsp. of the Creole seasoning and the andouille together and heat to medium high in a large pot. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock or water, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, ham hock, the remaining vegetables and Creole seasoning.
5. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for up to 2 1/2 hours.
6. Stir occasionally the first hour, making sure that the beans are covered with the liquid.
7. During the second hour, you want to check the meal more often. The beans will really start to absorb some liquid and you don’t want them to stick.
8. Also during the second hour, you want to remove the ham hock, trim away any meat and add it back to the pot.
9. After the beans have cooked for two hours, add the tomato sauce, parsley and half of the green onions.
10. Make your rice and cook the beans for another half hour.
For the smoked sausage:
1. Place the link(s) of smoked sausage in a medium sized cast-iron skillet.
2. Cover half way with water and bring to a boil.
3. Turn often, as the water evaporates, until all that is left in the pan is fat from the sausage.
4. Brown the casings of the sausage in the remaining fat, serve hot.
1. Remove the bay leaves.
2. Mound 1/2 cup of rice each, onto two serving plates.
3. Cover with a generous helping of the red beans and Garnish with the remaining green onions.
4. Top with hot sauce.
Perfect compliments to this meal are a simple vinaigrette salad, a side of smoked sausage, French bread.
Got a great recipe? If so, send it with a photo of the completed meal to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at email@example.com. Please include your name and phone number.
More than 200 people representing 20 teams have signed up to walk around the clock...
Considering the kind of year 2016 has been for St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s...
By Anna Thibodeaux & Ryan Arena
ITT Technical Institute’s closing...
Destrehan streets filled with water again this month just a few weeks after the...
Gear up the taste buds and put on those dancing shoes, the 37th annual Alligator...
With a roller coaster ride of a game tied at 28 with 10 seconds left, and the eyes...
Craig's Barber Shop has been locally owned and operated for over 25 years. We do men, women, and children's haircuts. Come in and enjoy that unique barber shop experience! Walk in and relax a while with Craig, Cheryl, and Angel!
Several women detail sexual encounters with Morel in FBI report - 3513 views
Several women detail sexual allegations against former St. Charles Parish District Attorney Harry Morel in an FBI document secured by the St. Charles Herald-Guide in a public information request.