The Cook’s Corner
Red Beans and Rice
|Photo and recipe courtesy of nolacuisine.com.|
- 2 tbsp Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere’s works)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup Cajun andouille sausage, cubed
- 1/2 lb. small red beans (soaked overnight or for at least a few hours)
- 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- A bundle of fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 boiled rice
1. Mix together the onions, celery and bell pepper. Drain the beans.
2. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper mixture, 1 tbsp. of the Creole seasoning and the andouille together and heat to medium high in a large pot. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock or water, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, ham hock, the remaining vegetables and Creole seasoning.
5. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for up to 2 1/2 hours.
6. Stir occasionally the first hour, making sure that the beans are covered with the liquid.
7. During the second hour, you want to check the meal more often. The beans will really start to absorb some liquid and you don’t want them to stick.
8. Also during the second hour, you want to remove the ham hock, trim away any meat and add it back to the pot.
9. After the beans have cooked for two hours, add the tomato sauce, parsley and half of the green onions.
10. Make your rice and cook the beans for another half hour.
For the smoked sausage:
1. Place the link(s) of smoked sausage in a medium sized cast-iron skillet.
2. Cover half way with water and bring to a boil.
3. Turn often, as the water evaporates, until all that is left in the pan is fat from the sausage.
4. Brown the casings of the sausage in the remaining fat, serve hot.
1. Remove the bay leaves.
2. Mound 1/2 cup of rice each, onto two serving plates.
3. Cover with a generous helping of the red beans and Garnish with the remaining green onions.
4. Top with hot sauce.
Perfect compliments to this meal are a simple vinaigrette salad, a side of smoked sausage, French bread.
Got a great recipe? If so, send it with a photo of the completed meal to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at email@example.com. Please include your name and phone number.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
After finishing last season 14-1 and losing a host of key players to graduation,...
A St. Rose woman has been arrested in connection with the alleged hit-and-run death...
Julian Turner did his best and “just kind of ran into” being named salutatorian for...
It had been a long 18-hour day observing a presidential election in the Republic of...
HBO is back in St. Charles Parish filming an eight-part series called “Quarry” that...
A St. Rose man has received a mandatory sentence of life in prison for the 2012...
Craig's Barber Shop has been locally owned and operated for over 25 years. We do men, women, and children's haircuts. Come in and enjoy that unique barber shop experience! Walk in and relax a while with Craig, Cheryl, and Angel!
Hahnville senior leaps to state championships - 1479 views
Hahnville’s Brandon Singleton won both the 110-and 300-meter hurdle events in the Class 5A LHSAA’s Outdoor Track and Field State Championships on Saturday.