The Cook's Corner
Grillades and Grits
|Photo and recipe provided by Nolacusine.com|
- 2 lbs. round steak
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ cup flour, seasoned
- 2 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 ribs celery, julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tbsp. homemade
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Crystal hot sauce to taste
- 1 tsbp. corn starch (whisked together with 1 tbsp. water)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 recipe of grits made according to the package instructions
1. Pound the round steak on both sides to about ½ inch thickness, then cut into 4 inch squares.
2. Season the grillades with the salt and cayenne pepper.
3. Combine the flour and Creole Seasoning, dip the Grillades one at a time into the seasoned flour and shake off any excess.
4. In a cast iron dutch oven or skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat until very hot, but not smoking.
5. Brown the Grillades well on both sides without burning.
6. Transfer the grillades to a plate.
7. Drain off the vegetable oil and melt the butter over medium heat.
8. Add the onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
9. Stirring frequently, cook until the vegetables are soft but not brown.
10. Stir in the beef stock, Worcestershire, tomatoes, and bay leaves, and bring the mixture to a boil.
11. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Return the grillades and the accumulated juice from the plate back to the pot.
12. Submerge the grillades in the sauce and simmer for about 1 ½ hours or until they're very tender.
13. When the grillades are tender remove them to a plate and bring the sauce to a boil.
14. Add the corn starch mixture and whisk until the sauce is slightly thickened.
15. Stir in the parsley, 1/4 cup of the green onions, red wine vinegar, hot sauce, and salt and pepper.
16. Mound the Grits on four heated plates and divide the steaks on top of the grits.
17. Pour the sauce over the grillades and grits, and top with the remaining green onions and serve immediately.
Got a great recipe? If so, email the recipe along with a photo of the completed dish to Lifestyles Editor Heather R. Breaux at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald Guide is the complete local news in St. Charles Parish, Louisiana.
Get your local news, sports and information from the Parish's award winning paper.
St. Charles Herald Guide has what you need.
The Pickets are hallowed ground in the Houma trout-fishing world. If you fish out...
Hahnville High School athletes recently signed letters of intent to play at the...
After hearing that plenty of big trout were being caught on live shrimp at the end...
Six Destrehan High School students recently signed scholarship offers to play at...
The Hahnville Tigers and Desterehan Wildcats baseball teams were well represented...
St. Charles Parish plans to go out for construction bids next month on the first...
Yes, you've seen us. Maison Decor is the premier home decor retail store located on highway 90 where Boutte meets Luling. So stop, come on in and you'll be surprised!
Burglars strike 7 Luling homes during daytime - 1565 views
Brazen burglars have broken into seven Luling homes in less than two weeks, making off with electronics and jewelry during the daytime heists.