Avoid warm weather fashion blunders at work
Flip flops are the number one faux pas
Flip-Flops - A separate Monster poll conducted last summer revealed that an overwhelming 80 percent of workers deem flip-flops unacceptable in the workplace.
Workers beware: more comfortable warm weather garments can sometimes threaten your professional credibility.
Monster, the leading online jobs service, recently performed a survey that reveals what workers consider to be the most distasteful fashion faux pas committed while on the job.
A whopping 55 percent of workers surveyed online consider tank tops and exposed undergarments the season's top work wear mishap. Also leading the ugly and annoying charge are flip-flops and other wear better left for the beach.
"Perception is reality, so even if it is 100 degrees outside on a Friday in mid-July, employees and job seekers should be mindful of the image they are presenting," said Lori Erickson, vice president of human resources at Monster. "If you work in professional environment and your business attire suggests you are ready to be poolside with a Pina Colada, you are likely subverting your own credibility."
Here are spring and summer's biggest workplace fashion mistakes, according to Monster:
* Shorts or Short-Cut Capri Pants - While shorts are great attire during personal time, they can be inappropriate for the workplace, as they indicate that a worker has a "vacation" state of mind.
* Flip-Flops - A separate Monster poll conducted last summer revealed that an overwhelming 80 percent of workers deem flip-flops unacceptable in the workplace.
* Revealing Clothing - This category includes short skirts, unbuttoned shirts, midriff-length tops and clothes that are too small. When on the job, workers should ensure that clothing accentuates their brains over their bodies, and remember that undergarments were designed to be worn under garments.
* Loud Colors or Patterns - Just because wild animals sport bright colors to attract a mate, eye-catching clothing should not be used to impress colleagues.
* T-Shirts - The only work-related activity where t-shirts are appropriate is at a company softball game.
* Wrinkled Duds - Linen and cotton are both popular materials for the spring and summer, but they wrinkle easily. Workers should launder and press clothes made of these fabrics to retain the finished appeal they had when purchased.
To avoid falling victim to workplace fashion blunders, workers should observe trends among co-workers and familiarize themselves with appropriate "business casual" clothing like chino trousers, pencil skirts, relaxed button-down shirts and linen, polo or knitted shirts.
These clothes are generally made out of breathable fabrics - perfect for warmer weather, but not so perfect that you're mistaken for an off-duty lifeguard.
Destrehan suffered a scare early in Thursday night’s Class 5A quarterfinal game...
When the Krewe of Lul decided to bring back its Mardi Gras ball this year to...
For the 62nd year, the Krewe of Des Allemands is set to roll Sunday (Feb. 26)...
It was the ultimate example of mixed emotions for Martin Sylvain. ...
With a fast flick of his hand, Whitney Curole sent a large blue crab sailing into a...
After riding in the Krewe of Des Allemands parade, Vernon Higgins decided it was...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
Destrehan conquers quarterfinals, headed to state tournament - 3952 views
Destrehan suffered a scare early in Thursday night’s Class 5A quarterfinal game against visiting Ouachita Parish, the sixth-seeded Lions taking a 38-30 lead into halftime.