Colorful, safe and delicious:
The RIGHT way to handle Easter eggs
Here are eight tips that the LSU AgCenter says will help keep your Easter a healthy one.
1. Buy clean, uncracked eggs from a refrigerated display case at the grocery.
2. Store eggs in the carton in the refrigerator with the large end up to help maintain quality and keep them covered to eliminate the absorption of odors from other foods.
3. Wash your hands thoroughly before you handle eggs.
4. To hard-cook eggs properly, never boil them. Place eggs in a pot and cover with at least 1 inch of cold water. Bring to a boil then turn off heat, cover and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse immediately with cold water so the shells will be easier to remove and to prevent the greenish coating on the yolk.
5. Refrigerate hard-cooked eggs in their cartons if you won’t be coloring them right after cooking and cooling.
6. Color only uncracked eggs.
7. If you hide eggs, consider hiding places carefully. Avoid areas where the eggs might come into contact with dirt, pets, wild animals, birds, reptiles, insects or lawn chemicals.
8. Never leave eggs in the sun during an Easter egg hunt - always keep them in the shade.
- Mark Claesgens, LSU AgCenter
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The Hahnville Tigers left everything they had out on the field, but it was not...
After nearly 90 years in business, during which time only one family has owned and...
After only one season, Boutte-resident Kip Benoit’s reality TV series about hunting...
Retired U.S. Army Lt. General Russel Honoré is front and center in the brewing...
In only his second game as a starter, Destrehan sophomore quarterback Marquise...
Luling’s Rathborne Park remains closed until Saturday, Sept. 13 while St. Charles...
The Staff at Southland Dodge Chrysler Jeep proudly offers the newest chrysler, dodge and jeep cars in Houma, La., region. We also carry an impressive selection of used cars trucks and suvs by the industry top manufacturers.
Hahnville dominates Salmen in season opener - 927 views
The Nick Saltaformaggio coaching era at Hahnville started off with a bang as the Tigers dominated the Salmen Spartans in the season opener.