Colorful, safe and delicious:
The RIGHT way to handle Easter eggs
Here are eight tips that the LSU AgCenter says will help keep your Easter a healthy one.
1. Buy clean, uncracked eggs from a refrigerated display case at the grocery.
2. Store eggs in the carton in the refrigerator with the large end up to help maintain quality and keep them covered to eliminate the absorption of odors from other foods.
3. Wash your hands thoroughly before you handle eggs.
4. To hard-cook eggs properly, never boil them. Place eggs in a pot and cover with at least 1 inch of cold water. Bring to a boil then turn off heat, cover and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse immediately with cold water so the shells will be easier to remove and to prevent the greenish coating on the yolk.
5. Refrigerate hard-cooked eggs in their cartons if you won’t be coloring them right after cooking and cooling.
6. Color only uncracked eggs.
7. If you hide eggs, consider hiding places carefully. Avoid areas where the eggs might come into contact with dirt, pets, wild animals, birds, reptiles, insects or lawn chemicals.
8. Never leave eggs in the sun during an Easter egg hunt - always keep them in the shade.
- Mark Claesgens, LSU AgCenter
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The goal is to put a duck call (pink or camo) and a fishing pole – anything that’s...
A $70,000 handicap van and Comfee seat recently donated by Chive Charities came as...
A hungry and prepared Jesuit team spoiled host Hahnville’s preseason jamboree...
A Destrehan man was arrested and charged with aggravated battery and domestic abuse...
Hahnville will have a new look on offense this season, and second year Tigers’...
Bayou Gauche community residents had barraged the St. Charles Parish Planning...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
‘Canes take home trophy at USSSA World Series - 509 views
The 10U LA Hurricanes softball team, based out of St. Charles Parish, recently traveled to Orlando, Fla. to play in the 10U USSSA World Series at the ESPN Wide World of Sports.