St. Charles Parish redesigned from public safety to housing
Economic and Workforce Development
- Protect the port and refinery resources.
- Retain buildable land while enhancing levee infrastructure.
- Implement projects and plans previously identified in local, state and federal governments.
- Adopt a land use plan that facilitates safe long-term growth and development by initiating, coordinating and integrating strategies for business retention, expansion and new business development as well as attracting tourists.
Flood Protection and Coastal Restoration
- Provide or improve hurricane protection for St. Charles Parish
- Maintain and expand wetland protection measures.
- Enhance coastal restoration program.
- Work regionally on coastal restoration projects which protect St. Charles, but which are located in Jefferson, Lafourche and Plaquemines parishes.
- Implement new regional emergency communication system.
- Develop an integrated strategy and facility to coordinate pre-storm, during storm, and post-storm protection.
Public Health and Healthcare
- Plans for recovery and growth should recognize the special needs of the senior, disabled and lower-income residents of the parish
Transportation & Infrastructure
- Develop transportation systems that assure the protection and efficient movement of the people and their assets concurrent with the population growth of the region.
- Improve water and wastewater facilities to accommodate increased demand from evacuees and anticipated growth.
Housing & Community Redevelopment
- Plan for sustainable land use while protecting the quality of life for all residents of St. Charles Parish.
- Preserve the many treasures that are culturally and historically significant to the region.
- Site and build homes and businesses to meet standards appropriate for hurricane and flood-prone areas.
- Growth should provide for a variety of housing types and styles keeping in mind the needs of special populations.
Source: Louisiana Speaks
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
When it comes to insurance, the catastrophe can linger long after the devastation...
When Cameron’s mother put a stethoscope to Jamie Napolitano’s chest and heard her...
The goal is to put a duck call (pink or camo) and a fishing pole – anything that’s...
Festival of Charities crowned new royalty on Aug. 9 in Destrehan at the American...
Lutcher coach Tim Detillier is fond of saying “they should collect the money on the...
A $1.4 million bid has been awarded to Barriere Construction Co. in Boutte to...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
Keep calm and chive on - 1639 views
A $70,000 handicap van and Comfee seat recently donated by Chive Charities came as enormous relief to Carissa Oxford of Luling, who is determined to stay the course on helping her son, Alex, deal with a rare debilitating disease.