St. Charles Parish redesigned from public safety to housing
Economic and Workforce Development
- Protect the port and refinery resources.
- Retain buildable land while enhancing levee infrastructure.
- Implement projects and plans previously identified in local, state and federal governments.
- Adopt a land use plan that facilitates safe long-term growth and development by initiating, coordinating and integrating strategies for business retention, expansion and new business development as well as attracting tourists.
Flood Protection and Coastal Restoration
- Provide or improve hurricane protection for St. Charles Parish
- Maintain and expand wetland protection measures.
- Enhance coastal restoration program.
- Work regionally on coastal restoration projects which protect St. Charles, but which are located in Jefferson, Lafourche and Plaquemines parishes.
- Implement new regional emergency communication system.
- Develop an integrated strategy and facility to coordinate pre-storm, during storm, and post-storm protection.
Public Health and Healthcare
- Plans for recovery and growth should recognize the special needs of the senior, disabled and lower-income residents of the parish
Transportation & Infrastructure
- Develop transportation systems that assure the protection and efficient movement of the people and their assets concurrent with the population growth of the region.
- Improve water and wastewater facilities to accommodate increased demand from evacuees and anticipated growth.
Housing & Community Redevelopment
- Plan for sustainable land use while protecting the quality of life for all residents of St. Charles Parish.
- Preserve the many treasures that are culturally and historically significant to the region.
- Site and build homes and businesses to meet standards appropriate for hurricane and flood-prone areas.
- Growth should provide for a variety of housing types and styles keeping in mind the needs of special populations.
Source: Louisiana Speaks
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
With a little help from the weather, the Krewe of Des Allemands will roll at 1 p.m....
With road upgrade work on the Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge to begin Sunday, St....
Luling’s Kelly Robbins was often told her daughter, Kylar, wouldn’t be able to...
An attempted traffic stop by Louisiana State Police on I-310 turned into a police...
The Des Allemands man accused of stealing more than $12,000 from the 2014 Louisiana...
Resurfacing the Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge deck isn’t just a $24.5 million upgrade,...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
DHS teacher-student sex cases are part of national ‘epidemic,’ expert says - 1580 views
Multiple teacher-student sex cases at Destrehan High School could be a “culture problem,” but these cases are more likely part of a national epidemic, according to a national expert.