St. Charles Parish redesigned from public safety to housing
Economic and Workforce Development
- Protect the port and refinery resources.
- Retain buildable land while enhancing levee infrastructure.
- Implement projects and plans previously identified in local, state and federal governments.
- Adopt a land use plan that facilitates safe long-term growth and development by initiating, coordinating and integrating strategies for business retention, expansion and new business development as well as attracting tourists.
Flood Protection and Coastal Restoration
- Provide or improve hurricane protection for St. Charles Parish
- Maintain and expand wetland protection measures.
- Enhance coastal restoration program.
- Work regionally on coastal restoration projects which protect St. Charles, but which are located in Jefferson, Lafourche and Plaquemines parishes.
- Implement new regional emergency communication system.
- Develop an integrated strategy and facility to coordinate pre-storm, during storm, and post-storm protection.
Public Health and Healthcare
- Plans for recovery and growth should recognize the special needs of the senior, disabled and lower-income residents of the parish
Transportation & Infrastructure
- Develop transportation systems that assure the protection and efficient movement of the people and their assets concurrent with the population growth of the region.
- Improve water and wastewater facilities to accommodate increased demand from evacuees and anticipated growth.
Housing & Community Redevelopment
- Plan for sustainable land use while protecting the quality of life for all residents of St. Charles Parish.
- Preserve the many treasures that are culturally and historically significant to the region.
- Site and build homes and businesses to meet standards appropriate for hurricane and flood-prone areas.
- Growth should provide for a variety of housing types and styles keeping in mind the needs of special populations.
Source: Louisiana Speaks
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
When a couple inquired about getting a same-sex marriage license on Friday, June...
With this week’s arrest of a New Orleans East man, Jolene Dufrene may have gotten...
Dennis Mitchell of Luling had been buying tickets for the St. Jude Dream House...
Destrehan boys basketball coach Todd Bourg is excited about his team’s prospects...
Becky Savage recently received a dose of amazing news when doctors informed the...
For nearly two years, Lamar and Ruthell Ellis have mourned the loss of their son,...
To take control of one's life requires courage. Ms.Lucia specializes in depression, stress and anxiety disorders, parent-child relationships, and marital issues. Taking the first step is often the most difficult.
Millions could be lost with tax credit cut in SCP - 594 views
With St. Charles Parish being the second largest collector of inventory taxes in Louisiana, officials are bracing for the impact of a 25 percent cut in the state’s tax credit or reimbursement to the companies that pay them on the local level.