St. Charles Parish redesigned from public safety to housing
Economic and Workforce Development
- Protect the port and refinery resources.
- Retain buildable land while enhancing levee infrastructure.
- Implement projects and plans previously identified in local, state and federal governments.
- Adopt a land use plan that facilitates safe long-term growth and development by initiating, coordinating and integrating strategies for business retention, expansion and new business development as well as attracting tourists.
Flood Protection and Coastal Restoration
- Provide or improve hurricane protection for St. Charles Parish
- Maintain and expand wetland protection measures.
- Enhance coastal restoration program.
- Work regionally on coastal restoration projects which protect St. Charles, but which are located in Jefferson, Lafourche and Plaquemines parishes.
- Implement new regional emergency communication system.
- Develop an integrated strategy and facility to coordinate pre-storm, during storm, and post-storm protection.
Public Health and Healthcare
- Plans for recovery and growth should recognize the special needs of the senior, disabled and lower-income residents of the parish
Transportation & Infrastructure
- Develop transportation systems that assure the protection and efficient movement of the people and their assets concurrent with the population growth of the region.
- Improve water and wastewater facilities to accommodate increased demand from evacuees and anticipated growth.
Housing & Community Redevelopment
- Plan for sustainable land use while protecting the quality of life for all residents of St. Charles Parish.
- Preserve the many treasures that are culturally and historically significant to the region.
- Site and build homes and businesses to meet standards appropriate for hurricane and flood-prone areas.
- Growth should provide for a variety of housing types and styles keeping in mind the needs of special populations.
Source: Louisiana Speaks
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Anticipating growing competition for skilled workers, Dow stepped up efforts with a...
By Wednesday, more than 500 strikers put down their signs and will start going back...
Three St. Charles Parish Public Schools teachers were recently named the top...
It seems a little bit of St. Charles Parish culture could end up on TV this year....
Monsanto’s response to the World Health Organization (WHO) labeling its widely used...
Destrehan High School sophomore Cara “Moon” Ursin has been chosen as Louisiana’s...
Fast Friendly Service...Just Around the Corner! Frank's offers you the best choice in quality groceries at competitive prices.
Longtime ‘Voice of the LaBranche Wetlands’ is Rotary of St. Charles’ Citizen of the Year - 592 views
Considered “the voice of the LaBranche Wetlands” for more than 40 years, Milton L. Cambre has been named the Rotary Club of St. Charles Parish’s Citizen of the Year.