Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Thrifty: a) union, coalition; b) dig into; c) careful about money, economical; d) equip.
2. Rote: a) having an evil influence, virulent; b) repetition; c) neat and trim; d) one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously).
3. Erode: a) place of spiritual expiation; b) eat away; c) excuse; d) varying form of an element.
4. Appreciate: a) weaken, sap; b) be thankful for, increase in worth; c) reserved or aloof, cold in manner; d) quench, sate.
5. Nutrient: a) concise, meaty; b) nourishing substance; c) secret, mysterious; d) attractive, agreeable.
6. Finite: a) harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill; b) agree; c) steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own; d) limited.
7. Execrate: a) retort, comeback; b) boredom, weariness; c) something new; newness d) curse, express abhorrence for.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, read below.
Answers: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-D.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
A Killona man faces felony animal cruelty charges after the St. Charles Parish...
Beginning April 1, St. Charles Parish Hospital will ban smoking throughout the...
Emily Charles, 21, had begun to drive herself and five longtime friends from a...
Local union workers at Shell and Motiva refineries in Norco went on strike after...
Pastor Don Logan, of Boutte, was coming back from a meeting in Alexandria when the...
When Hahnville wrestler Kendrick Jones won the LHSAA Division I state championship...
Andrews Remodeling has over 25 years of experience in home remodeling, repair and additions. No job is too big or too small. We guarantee all of our work and believe the job is not complete until the customer is satisfied.
New program brightens day of nursing home residents - 601 views
Valentines poured in to the Ashton Manor assisted living and memory care facility in Luling last Saturday thanks to the implementation of a new online system.