Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Thrifty: a) union, coalition; b) dig into; c) careful about money, economical; d) equip.
2. Rote: a) having an evil influence, virulent; b) repetition; c) neat and trim; d) one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously).
3. Erode: a) place of spiritual expiation; b) eat away; c) excuse; d) varying form of an element.
4. Appreciate: a) weaken, sap; b) be thankful for, increase in worth; c) reserved or aloof, cold in manner; d) quench, sate.
5. Nutrient: a) concise, meaty; b) nourishing substance; c) secret, mysterious; d) attractive, agreeable.
6. Finite: a) harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill; b) agree; c) steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own; d) limited.
7. Execrate: a) retort, comeback; b) boredom, weariness; c) something new; newness d) curse, express abhorrence for.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, read below.
Answers: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-D.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Federico “Fred” Martinez, chief executive officer of St. Charles Parish Hospital...
It was Wayne Abadie’s opportunity to work in “plarn,” but also to use this plastic...
With 44 precincts reporting, all four tax proposals supporting hurricane levees,...
With the theme of “Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often,” the St. Charles Women’s Club...
HBO documentary figure and murder suspect Robert Durst is coming to St. Charles...
It’s a crowded May 2 ballot with four tax propositions going before St. Charles...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
Cpl. Hazeltine surrounded by 'brothers in blue' - 671 views
Surrounded by his “brothers in blue,” Cpl. Burt Hazeltine reflected on surviving three gunshot wounds from a man who apparently ambushed him on Highway 90 while directing school traffic a week ago.