Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Thrifty: a) union, coalition; b) dig into; c) careful about money, economical; d) equip.
2. Rote: a) having an evil influence, virulent; b) repetition; c) neat and trim; d) one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously).
3. Erode: a) place of spiritual expiation; b) eat away; c) excuse; d) varying form of an element.
4. Appreciate: a) weaken, sap; b) be thankful for, increase in worth; c) reserved or aloof, cold in manner; d) quench, sate.
5. Nutrient: a) concise, meaty; b) nourishing substance; c) secret, mysterious; d) attractive, agreeable.
6. Finite: a) harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill; b) agree; c) steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own; d) limited.
7. Execrate: a) retort, comeback; b) boredom, weariness; c) something new; newness d) curse, express abhorrence for.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, read below.
Answers: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-D.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Larry Cochran, D-St. Rose, took the lead and kept it for a win as St. Charles...
Destrehan coach Stephen Robicheaux said his Wildcats’ performance against Barbe...
The pit bull thrown from I-310 into the swamp beneath in early October has found a...
As Destrehan attempts to become the program’s first undefeated state champion since...
A New Orleans man has been reported dead from an apparent gunshot wound to the head...
Before they all left for Thanksgiving break, area elementary students were asked...
Today's Car Care is the name people trust when it comes to outstanding tires and automotive service in the River Region and beyond.
Former star players help guide Wildcats - 652 views
As Destrehan attempts to become the program’s first undefeated state champion since the team did it back-to-back in 2007 and 2008, three of the team’s assistant coaches can offer a unique perspective to the Wildcat players.