Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Thrifty: a) union, coalition; b) dig into; c) careful about money, economical; d) equip.
2. Rote: a) having an evil influence, virulent; b) repetition; c) neat and trim; d) one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously).
3. Erode: a) place of spiritual expiation; b) eat away; c) excuse; d) varying form of an element.
4. Appreciate: a) weaken, sap; b) be thankful for, increase in worth; c) reserved or aloof, cold in manner; d) quench, sate.
5. Nutrient: a) concise, meaty; b) nourishing substance; c) secret, mysterious; d) attractive, agreeable.
6. Finite: a) harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill; b) agree; c) steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own; d) limited.
7. Execrate: a) retort, comeback; b) boredom, weariness; c) something new; newness d) curse, express abhorrence for.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, read below.
Answers: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-D.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Family and friends gathered on Sunday to celebrate the first birthday of Jade...
A 31-year-old Hahnville graduate has gone missing in Hammond and police are asking...
A Luling father who has been convicted of molesting his daughter twice in the last...
Now that carnival season has to come to an end, Fat Tuesday has passed and Ash...
The National School Board Association has announced St. Charles Parish Public...
The release of toxic, potentially hazardous gases into the atmosphere through local...
Visit The Basketry to find the perfect gifts for birthdays, holidays, weddings, anniversaries and children, or just come in and treat yourself. The Basketry offers free local hand delivery, and we're happy to ship your gifts to any location worldwide.
Father faces 198 years in jail for molesting daughter - 2304 views
A Luling father who has been convicted of molesting his daughter twice in the last 10 years is facing up to 198 years in jail.