Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Thrifty: a) union, coalition; b) dig into; c) careful about money, economical; d) equip.
2. Rote: a) having an evil influence, virulent; b) repetition; c) neat and trim; d) one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously).
3. Erode: a) place of spiritual expiation; b) eat away; c) excuse; d) varying form of an element.
4. Appreciate: a) weaken, sap; b) be thankful for, increase in worth; c) reserved or aloof, cold in manner; d) quench, sate.
5. Nutrient: a) concise, meaty; b) nourishing substance; c) secret, mysterious; d) attractive, agreeable.
6. Finite: a) harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill; b) agree; c) steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own; d) limited.
7. Execrate: a) retort, comeback; b) boredom, weariness; c) something new; newness d) curse, express abhorrence for.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, read below.
Answers: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-D.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
A Luling man was convicted of sexual battery on a juvenile and attempted aggravated...
A malnourished horse found wrapped up in rope in a desolate field has gotten a new...
A bill that would allow teachers and school administrators with concealed carry...
When the monks at St. Joseph Abbey began crafting cypress coffins in 2007, they did...
Steve Todd may have been the last participant in Saturday’s Bridge Run to cross the...
Nearly seven years after the 2007 murder of Hilda Mae Warren, family members are...
If Extra Cash is what you need to help meet expenses, come right in or call. We'll be glad to serve you promptly!
VFW gets makeover with aid of Home Depot workers, community - 614 views
Employees of Home Depot, along with members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3750 and other local leaders, gathered together last week to begin renovations on the VFW Hall in Luling that were funded by a $10,000 grant.