Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Thrifty: a) union, coalition; b) dig into; c) careful about money, economical; d) equip.
2. Rote: a) having an evil influence, virulent; b) repetition; c) neat and trim; d) one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously).
3. Erode: a) place of spiritual expiation; b) eat away; c) excuse; d) varying form of an element.
4. Appreciate: a) weaken, sap; b) be thankful for, increase in worth; c) reserved or aloof, cold in manner; d) quench, sate.
5. Nutrient: a) concise, meaty; b) nourishing substance; c) secret, mysterious; d) attractive, agreeable.
6. Finite: a) harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill; b) agree; c) steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own; d) limited.
7. Execrate: a) retort, comeback; b) boredom, weariness; c) something new; newness d) curse, express abhorrence for.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, read below.
Answers: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-D.
Destrehan simply had no answers for Landry-Walker. ...
When Courtney Galbreath learned that a St. Charles Parish foster kid’s bicycle that...
Saturday’s election isn’t expected to draw the record number voters of November’s...
Following a high-speed police chase that ended with crashing in a ditch in Luling...
Perhaps shining even brighter than the Christmas lights going up these days in...
As the Bayou Gauche community mourns the death of resident Bart Dufrene Jr., who...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
Council selects new garbage company - 3733 views
Following several discussions aimed at fine tuning St. Charles Parish's anticipated five-year garbage collection contract, the council chose Houma-based Pelican Waste and Debris as the new service provider Monday.