Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Thrifty: a) union, coalition; b) dig into; c) careful about money, economical; d) equip.
2. Rote: a) having an evil influence, virulent; b) repetition; c) neat and trim; d) one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously).
3. Erode: a) place of spiritual expiation; b) eat away; c) excuse; d) varying form of an element.
4. Appreciate: a) weaken, sap; b) be thankful for, increase in worth; c) reserved or aloof, cold in manner; d) quench, sate.
5. Nutrient: a) concise, meaty; b) nourishing substance; c) secret, mysterious; d) attractive, agreeable.
6. Finite: a) harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill; b) agree; c) steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own; d) limited.
7. Execrate: a) retort, comeback; b) boredom, weariness; c) something new; newness d) curse, express abhorrence for.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, read below.
Answers: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-D.
Rodney Naquin Jr. was sentenced to 29 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to a...
It was hard enough for Jimmy Stuard to deal with a diagnosis of colon cancer...
The St. Charles Parish Council cleared the way for a Southeastern Freight Lines...
State Sen. Gary Smith says there's been talk about a gasoline tax hike for years,...
All of the ongoing renovations and upgrades to Rathborne Park aren’t quite...
Recognized as an educator who inspires students toward conservation and the...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Hahnville paddle boarder teaching others to catch a wave in the bayou - 925 views
Katie Beuttner has always loved the water.