Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Thrifty: a) union, coalition; b) dig into; c) careful about money, economical; d) equip.
2. Rote: a) having an evil influence, virulent; b) repetition; c) neat and trim; d) one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously).
3. Erode: a) place of spiritual expiation; b) eat away; c) excuse; d) varying form of an element.
4. Appreciate: a) weaken, sap; b) be thankful for, increase in worth; c) reserved or aloof, cold in manner; d) quench, sate.
5. Nutrient: a) concise, meaty; b) nourishing substance; c) secret, mysterious; d) attractive, agreeable.
6. Finite: a) harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill; b) agree; c) steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own; d) limited.
7. Execrate: a) retort, comeback; b) boredom, weariness; c) something new; newness d) curse, express abhorrence for.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, read below.
Answers: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-D.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Seven people have been arrested after a St. Rose man was shot to death on Kennedy...
Although Luling native Tammy Faucheux had already had three healthy children, it...
Wallace Johnston, 91, is truly a child of a different era. He was orphaned at only...
Hahnville-based Otto Candies has locked up a spot in the American Legion state...
The ongoing saga of St. Charles Parish’s Aviation Board seat has taken yet another...
Starring in a feature-length film at the age of 16 may seem like a big deal to most...
Southwest Funding, LP Branch #920 (NMLS 32139) is your local mortgage company caring about your personal mortgage needs for all purchasing, refinancing, and reverse mortgages. All credit and employment considered.
St. Rose trapper has gained fame by clearing out parish’s hogs - 1114 views
Not too many animal trappers can boast the resume of St. Rose’s John Schmidt, who not only cleared out thousands of animals to improve the safety of the Louis Armstrong International Airport, but also helped clear out the hog population in St. Charles Parish.