Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Thrifty: a) union, coalition; b) dig into; c) careful about money, economical; d) equip.
2. Rote: a) having an evil influence, virulent; b) repetition; c) neat and trim; d) one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously).
3. Erode: a) place of spiritual expiation; b) eat away; c) excuse; d) varying form of an element.
4. Appreciate: a) weaken, sap; b) be thankful for, increase in worth; c) reserved or aloof, cold in manner; d) quench, sate.
5. Nutrient: a) concise, meaty; b) nourishing substance; c) secret, mysterious; d) attractive, agreeable.
6. Finite: a) harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill; b) agree; c) steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own; d) limited.
7. Execrate: a) retort, comeback; b) boredom, weariness; c) something new; newness d) curse, express abhorrence for.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, read below.
Answers: 1-C. 2-B. 3-B. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-D.
John Paul Devillier, charged with attempted first-degree murder after allegedly...
St. Charles Parish Council President Wendy Benedetto is on her way to getting what...
Operating on little sleep and a great desire to help, a large group of St. Charles...
Sarah VanEtta, Sarah Boquet and Gina Escude all attend different schools, but the...
Despite it taking a year to determine the status of the proposed I-310 flyover ramp...
At Brook Kornegay’s house in Luling, watching vivacious kittens pouncing and...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Bayou Gauche father diagnosed with rare disease that attacks organs - 11911 views
When Ron Dufrene began experiencing shortness of breath and other forms of discomfort earlier this year, the Bayou Gauche resident knew there was a problem.