Bicentennial trivia ... celebrating our parish’s 200th B-day
1. One of three St. Charles Parish middle schools was named after the man who was the parish’s clerk of court in 1900 - J.B. Martin.
2. In 1917, the St. Charles Herald printed its first “piece” of school news on the Moberly School - which was little more than a screened building that protected against mosquitoes.
3. In the early 1900’s the parish’s 74 teachers, all of whom were white, made an average salary of $836 a year.
4. In 1920 the first Bank of St. Charles opened, followed by the Bank of St. Rose which would eventually become St. Charles Bank and Trust.
5. The parish’s first chapter of the Red Cross was formed on Jan. 4, 1928 and within a year, the total membership reached a respectable 1,000.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
When Hahnville wrestler Kendrick Jones won the LHSAA Division I state championship...
A single-vehicle accident on U.S. Highway 90 in Luling resulted in the death of the...
Resolving a contentious legal battle dating back to 2011 between the St. Charles...
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested and charged a Boutte woman with...
When 25-year-old Luling resident Chad Robin entered the “American Idol” competition...
Emily Charles, 21, had begun to drive herself and five longtime friends from a...
Rooster Comb Barber Shop is an Old Fashioned Barber Shop with highly skilled barbers that were taught by Head Rooster himself (Alvin Boe). Family owned and operated, three generations strong! Walk ins welcomed.
Rescuers save drowning driver in Killona - 4455 views
Emily Charles, 21, had begun to drive herself and five longtime friends from a Luling hotel to Southern California on Feb. 18 when she rear-ended a vehicle and lost control of her SUV at the intersection of Louisiana highways 3127 and 3142 near Dow Chemical Co. in Killona. Charles hit the brakes, but could not avoid clipping the back of the car.
“After that, I don’t even know what happened. We must have flipped,” Charles said.