Bicentennial trivia ... celebrating our parish’s 200th B-day

By Staff Report

February 14, 2007 at 2:45 pm  | Mobile Reader | Pring this storyPrint 

Enjoy history? Like trivia? You’ve come to the right place. Because each week on this page, we publish historical tibits in honor of our Bicentennial Year. Here goes:

1. One of three St. Charles Parish middle schools was named after the man who was the parish’s clerk of court in 1900 - J.B. Martin.

2. In 1917, the St. Charles Herald printed its first “piece” of school news on the Moberly School - which was little more than a screened building that protected against mosquitoes.

3. In the early 1900’s the parish’s 74 teachers, all of whom were white, made an average salary of $836 a year.

4. In 1920 the first Bank of St. Charles opened, followed by the Bank of St. Rose which would eventually become St. Charles Bank and Trust.

5. The parish’s first chapter of the Red Cross was formed on Jan. 4, 1928 and within a year, the total membership reached a respectable 1,000.




View other articles written By Staff Report

featured merchant

Grand Ridge Golf Club
Grand Ridge Golf Club Grand Ridge Golf Club’s eighteen holes wind through the Willowdale subdivision. Become a member or just come play a round of golf, check out our merchandise in the pro shop, and have some lunch and a beverage at the 19th Hole!

Bill would allow teachers to carry guns at school, events
Bill would allow teachers to carry guns at school, events
- 574 views
A bill that would allow teachers and school administrators with concealed carry permits to carry firearms in schools and at school events has been filed in this year’s legislative session.