Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Hibernate: a) sleep throughout the winter; b) deprived of, lacking; c) worsen, diminish in value; d) ordinary, unimaginative.
2. Gambit: a) remove, forcible; b) deserving blame; c) abstain from, resist n. chorus; d) opening in chess in which a piece is sacrificed.
3. Metallurgical: a) lustful; b) praising;
c) at the point of death; d) pertaining to the art of removing metals from ores.
4. Maxim: a) meeting; b) proverb, a truth pithily stated; c) shining, issuing light; d) forewarning.
5. Ephemeral: a) confused, discomposed; b) hort-lived, fleeting; c) motionless, stale; d) provide a refuge for, hide.
6. Reparable: a) pertaining to marriage; b) proper, appropriate; c) recede, lessen; d) capable of being repaired.
7. Genre: a) particular variety of art or literature; b) study of language; c) haphazard; careless; d) ungrateful person.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
This week's answers below.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-D. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-A.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
A 31-year-old Hahnville graduate has gone missing in Hammond and police are asking...
Over the past six years, a local couple has been transplanting saplings into the...
A Luling college student who is following his dreams to become an animator is...
A Luling father who has been convicted of molesting his daughter twice in the last...
Hahnville junior Kendrick Jones became the second wrestler in his school’s history...
An auto theft ring operating in St. Charles Parish is targeting Chevrolet trucks...
Donaldsonville Marble & Granite Company has been providing service in time of need since 1875. We help simplify choosing the right memorial so its not so overwhelming. Our products range from memorial vases, to custom mausoleums and special accessories.
Police: 4 injured in hammer, knife attack - 1715 views
A Kenner woman and her mother are accused of using a hammer and knife to attack and injure four St. Rose women inside their home. One of the victims says she was knocked unconscious by the hammer while another was stabbed three times, according to the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office.