Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Hibernate: a) sleep throughout the winter; b) deprived of, lacking; c) worsen, diminish in value; d) ordinary, unimaginative.
2. Gambit: a) remove, forcible; b) deserving blame; c) abstain from, resist n. chorus; d) opening in chess in which a piece is sacrificed.
3. Metallurgical: a) lustful; b) praising;
c) at the point of death; d) pertaining to the art of removing metals from ores.
4. Maxim: a) meeting; b) proverb, a truth pithily stated; c) shining, issuing light; d) forewarning.
5. Ephemeral: a) confused, discomposed; b) hort-lived, fleeting; c) motionless, stale; d) provide a refuge for, hide.
6. Reparable: a) pertaining to marriage; b) proper, appropriate; c) recede, lessen; d) capable of being repaired.
7. Genre: a) particular variety of art or literature; b) study of language; c) haphazard; careless; d) ungrateful person.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
This week's answers below.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-D. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-A.
Ready for work in his camouflage pants and a “Louisiana Yard Dog” T-shirt, St....
Randy Breaux Jr. loves his job, and it shows in his work ethic and eagerness to...
All-District 7-5A Baseball 2016...
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office partnered with Louisiana Alcohol and...
St. Charles Parish Hospital Board Chairman John Landry III was arrested and charged...
Craig Blackburn and Heather Hancock have had myriad obstacles and a lot of distance...
Craig's Barber Shop has been locally owned and operated for over 25 years. We do men, women, and children's haircuts. Come in and enjoy that unique barber shop experience! Walk in and relax a while with Craig, Cheryl, and Angel!
A survivor of neglect and animal cruelty, this little Shihtzu is enjoying 'post-rescue life' - 1229 views
Neglected, pregnant and mostly left to fend for herself, Mocha has already proven herself a survivor.