Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
BOUTTE - Experts agree that when you learn a new word, your world becomes a bigger and more interesting place.
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Hibernate: a) sleep throughout the winter; b) deprived of, lacking; c) worsen, diminish in value; d) ordinary, unimaginative.
2. Gambit: a) remove, forcible; b) deserving blame; c) abstain from, resist n. chorus; d) opening in chess in which a piece is sacrificed.
3. Metallurgical: a) lustful; b) praising;
c) at the point of death; d) pertaining to the art of removing metals from ores.
4. Maxim: a) meeting; b) proverb, a truth pithily stated; c) shining, issuing light; d) forewarning.
5. Ephemeral: a) confused, discomposed; b) hort-lived, fleeting; c) motionless, stale; d) provide a refuge for, hide.
6. Reparable: a) pertaining to marriage; b) proper, appropriate; c) recede, lessen; d) capable of being repaired.
7. Genre: a) particular variety of art or literature; b) study of language; c) haphazard; careless; d) ungrateful person.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
This week's answers below.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-D. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-A.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald Guide is the complete local news in St. Charles Parish, Louisiana.
Get your local news, sports and information from the Parish's award winning paper.
St. Charles Herald Guide has what you need.
It’s a Sunday afternoon in Boutte and the traffic on Highway 90 is virtually...
After limiting out on speckled trout in Cocodrie, Hunter McDonald, Jake Cologne and...
As he was piloting a small Cessna airplane over the Gulf of Mexico, Marc Majoria...
Four St. Charles Parish football players recently joined some of the top college...
Homeowners in the second block of the Hidden Oaks subdivision in Luling say their...
Gov. Bobby Jindal will have a chance to weigh in on a controversial bill passed by...
CUSTOM PRINTING OF ALL TYPES. Banners, Signs, Vehicle Wraps, Lettering, Political Signs, Yard Signs, Business Cards and more.
Car used in fatal crash stopped by St. John Sheriff’s deputies only hours before - 993 views
The St. John Sheriff’s Office apparently gave a LaPlace woman accused of killing three people, including a pregnant woman, in an accident on Airline Highway in Norco control of the car after arresting the car’s original driver only hours earlier.