Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Hibernate: a) sleep throughout the winter; b) deprived of, lacking; c) worsen, diminish in value; d) ordinary, unimaginative.
2. Gambit: a) remove, forcible; b) deserving blame; c) abstain from, resist n. chorus; d) opening in chess in which a piece is sacrificed.
3. Metallurgical: a) lustful; b) praising;
c) at the point of death; d) pertaining to the art of removing metals from ores.
4. Maxim: a) meeting; b) proverb, a truth pithily stated; c) shining, issuing light; d) forewarning.
5. Ephemeral: a) confused, discomposed; b) hort-lived, fleeting; c) motionless, stale; d) provide a refuge for, hide.
6. Reparable: a) pertaining to marriage; b) proper, appropriate; c) recede, lessen; d) capable of being repaired.
7. Genre: a) particular variety of art or literature; b) study of language; c) haphazard; careless; d) ungrateful person.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
This week's answers below.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-D. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-A.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The United Way of St. Charles’ Bridge Run can expect some new faces this year, but...
St. Charles Parish officials closed Spillway Road (St. Charles Parish Hwy. 12)...
With a tan Stetson hat shading Roy Lunk’s eyes from the soft sunlight shining on...
Monsanto’s response to the World Health Organization (WHO) labeling its widely used...
A Destrehan man has pleaded guilty in a $50 million medical clinic-accountant...
Just minutes after receiving an alert about an attempted armed robbery of a gas...
Acadian Flooring America is a family owned and operated floor covering store that has been proudly serving our customers since 1980. Our experienced staff at our Marrero, LA location is eager to serve you and help you transform your room and bring your dé
Longtime ‘Voice of the LaBranche Wetlands’ is Rotary of St. Charles’ Citizen of the Year - 632 views
Considered “the voice of the LaBranche Wetlands” for more than 40 years, Milton L. Cambre has been named the Rotary Club of St. Charles Parish’s Citizen of the Year.