Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Hibernate: a) sleep throughout the winter; b) deprived of, lacking; c) worsen, diminish in value; d) ordinary, unimaginative.
2. Gambit: a) remove, forcible; b) deserving blame; c) abstain from, resist n. chorus; d) opening in chess in which a piece is sacrificed.
3. Metallurgical: a) lustful; b) praising;
c) at the point of death; d) pertaining to the art of removing metals from ores.
4. Maxim: a) meeting; b) proverb, a truth pithily stated; c) shining, issuing light; d) forewarning.
5. Ephemeral: a) confused, discomposed; b) hort-lived, fleeting; c) motionless, stale; d) provide a refuge for, hide.
6. Reparable: a) pertaining to marriage; b) proper, appropriate; c) recede, lessen; d) capable of being repaired.
7. Genre: a) particular variety of art or literature; b) study of language; c) haphazard; careless; d) ungrateful person.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
This week's answers below.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-D. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-A.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
When Derwin and Valerie Wilright’s young son became obsessed with the movie, “The...
Although St. Charles Parish officials don’t have a figure yet, they’re saying the...
Roger Scott knew it was a longshot that his letter to President Barack Obama would...
Eight-year-old Grant Rechen has defied the odds his entire life. ...
Destrehan hasn’t lost many games over the past two seasons. In fact, the Wildcats...
When a couple inquired about getting a same-sex marriage license on Friday, June...
Affordable Appliance Repair is a small family owned business you can trust. We work on all kitchen and laundry products. With same day or next day service, call us and we come to you!
The SCP library isn’t just for kids anymore - 676 views
In today’s more ingenious, time-managed world, a hack can be one of those tricks or DIYs (do-it-yourselfers) that keep a life functioning smoothly.