Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Hibernate: a) sleep throughout the winter; b) deprived of, lacking; c) worsen, diminish in value; d) ordinary, unimaginative.
2. Gambit: a) remove, forcible; b) deserving blame; c) abstain from, resist n. chorus; d) opening in chess in which a piece is sacrificed.
3. Metallurgical: a) lustful; b) praising;
c) at the point of death; d) pertaining to the art of removing metals from ores.
4. Maxim: a) meeting; b) proverb, a truth pithily stated; c) shining, issuing light; d) forewarning.
5. Ephemeral: a) confused, discomposed; b) hort-lived, fleeting; c) motionless, stale; d) provide a refuge for, hide.
6. Reparable: a) pertaining to marriage; b) proper, appropriate; c) recede, lessen; d) capable of being repaired.
7. Genre: a) particular variety of art or literature; b) study of language; c) haphazard; careless; d) ungrateful person.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
This week's answers below.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-D. 4-B. 5-B. 6-D. 7-A.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Though a lopsided loss to Destrehan halted Hahnville’s winning streak at three, the...
Fake hundred dollar bills have been circulating after a Hahnville High School...
With road upgrade work on the Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge to begin Sunday, St....
With a little help from the weather, the Krewe of Des Allemands will roll at 1 p.m....
The Des Allemands man accused of stealing more than $12,000 from the 2014 Louisiana...
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is gradually reclosing 200 bays of the Bonnet...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Body of man from capsized boat identified - 1494 views
The body of a man lost when his workboat capsized in the Mississippi River near the Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge on Dec. 30 has been identified as Jayme Swafford, 36, of Hammond.