Learn a lot about asthma and its dangers in seconds flat
... Herald-Guide SPEED READ for people on the go
1. Asthma is an inflammatory disease that causes the airways of the lungs to tighten, making it difficult to breathe. Symptoms include wheezing and shortness of breath. Symptoms can be caused by allergens or irritants that are inhaled into the lungs.
2. Triggers that lead to attacks include mold, dust mites, secondhand smoke, cockroaches, cats, dogs, exercise, viral illnesses, strong odors, perfumes, crying, laughing and air pollution. Some people are more at risk of getting asthma than others, depending on family history and exposure to asthma triggers at work or at home.
3. Asthma cannot be cured, but it can be prevented and managed. Asthma is the most common chronic disease facing children, accounting for 10 million missed days of school. The disease has become an emergent public health concern in the United States.
4. Asthma is the third-ranking cause of hospitalization among those under 15 years of age. At its worst, asthma can be deadly. In Louisiana, one in 10 households with children has at least one child who is asthmatic.
5. Asthma is the most common chronic disease among children, affecting an estimated 4.8 million children under the age of 18 in the United States.
Source: Louisiana Public Health Institute; National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Rather than rely on “hopes and prayers” to find funding for the West Bank hurricane...
When Hahnville wrestler Kendrick Jones won the LHSAA Division I state championship...
Most nonprofits would, in a perfect world, want to pay their volunteers. But for...
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested and charged a Boutte woman with...
Emily Charles, 21, had begun to drive herself and five longtime friends from a...
A Killona man faces felony animal cruelty charges after the St. Charles Parish...
Boutte Christian Academy (BCA) is a childcare and educational ministry of Life Church in Boutte. BCA was founded in 1980 as a Mother's Day Out Program and has grown over the years into a Class "A" Child Care Center and a State-Approved School
Packing the House - 1099 views
Romania is a long way from Lakewood Elementary, but the roaring crowd in the school gymnasium seems no less enthusiastic than crown Princess Margareta.