Learn a lot about asthma and its dangers in seconds flat
... Herald-Guide SPEED READ for people on the go
1. Asthma is an inflammatory disease that causes the airways of the lungs to tighten, making it difficult to breathe. Symptoms include wheezing and shortness of breath. Symptoms can be caused by allergens or irritants that are inhaled into the lungs.
2. Triggers that lead to attacks include mold, dust mites, secondhand smoke, cockroaches, cats, dogs, exercise, viral illnesses, strong odors, perfumes, crying, laughing and air pollution. Some people are more at risk of getting asthma than others, depending on family history and exposure to asthma triggers at work or at home.
3. Asthma cannot be cured, but it can be prevented and managed. Asthma is the most common chronic disease facing children, accounting for 10 million missed days of school. The disease has become an emergent public health concern in the United States.
4. Asthma is the third-ranking cause of hospitalization among those under 15 years of age. At its worst, asthma can be deadly. In Louisiana, one in 10 households with children has at least one child who is asthmatic.
5. Asthma is the most common chronic disease among children, affecting an estimated 4.8 million children under the age of 18 in the United States.
Source: Louisiana Public Health Institute; National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
If the Monsanto board approves the move in January, the company’s Luling site will...
A multi-million-dollar expansion planned at Quixote Studios in St. Rose is on hold...
By Lori Lyons
In his first season as Hahnville’s head softball...
Not that long ago a teacher could retire not knowing if he or she had made a...
A $100,000 grant from Shell-Motiva’s Norco Economic Development Foundation (NEDF)...
When friends reported that a burning vehicle found in New Orleans East looked like...
United Way of St.Charles has been working to improve lives in St.Charles Parish since 1955. We are committed to bringing the community together to deliver lasting changes throughout the parish in the ares of education, income & health.
$1B Monsanto expansion could lead to 95 permanent jobs - 1601 views
If the Monsanto board approves the move in January, the company’s Luling site will get a $1 billion upgrade to make the herbicide, dicamba.