Learn a lot about asthma and its dangers in seconds flat
... Herald-Guide SPEED READ for people on the go
1. Asthma is an inflammatory disease that causes the airways of the lungs to tighten, making it difficult to breathe. Symptoms include wheezing and shortness of breath. Symptoms can be caused by allergens or irritants that are inhaled into the lungs.
2. Triggers that lead to attacks include mold, dust mites, secondhand smoke, cockroaches, cats, dogs, exercise, viral illnesses, strong odors, perfumes, crying, laughing and air pollution. Some people are more at risk of getting asthma than others, depending on family history and exposure to asthma triggers at work or at home.
3. Asthma cannot be cured, but it can be prevented and managed. Asthma is the most common chronic disease facing children, accounting for 10 million missed days of school. The disease has become an emergent public health concern in the United States.
4. Asthma is the third-ranking cause of hospitalization among those under 15 years of age. At its worst, asthma can be deadly. In Louisiana, one in 10 households with children has at least one child who is asthmatic.
5. Asthma is the most common chronic disease among children, affecting an estimated 4.8 million children under the age of 18 in the United States.
Source: Louisiana Public Health Institute; National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The man arrested in connection with the shooting of Corp. Burt Hazeltine has been...
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office has identified Corp. Burt Hazeltine as the...
When ISIS threatened Pope Francis, calling him the “bearer of false truth,” the...
John Paul Devillier has been charged with attempted first-degree murder of a peace...
He’s white, fluffy as a toy and gets his picture taken with admirers who want to...
Spring’s burst of colors and warmer temperatures draw many people outside to the...
Your Sears Hometown Store offering appliances, mattresses, tools, lawn and garden supplies and more. Conveniently located in Boutte, Louisiana.
St. Charles Parish: Property tax only way to fund levee - 740 views
St. Charles Parish officials pitched two millage tax proposals to fund sewage improvements and a hurricane protection levee system at Tuesday’s first parishwide community meeting, but area residents suggested imposing a convenience fee so everyone shares the cost.