Learn a lot about asthma and its dangers in seconds flat
... Herald-Guide SPEED READ for people on the go
1. Asthma is an inflammatory disease that causes the airways of the lungs to tighten, making it difficult to breathe. Symptoms include wheezing and shortness of breath. Symptoms can be caused by allergens or irritants that are inhaled into the lungs.
2. Triggers that lead to attacks include mold, dust mites, secondhand smoke, cockroaches, cats, dogs, exercise, viral illnesses, strong odors, perfumes, crying, laughing and air pollution. Some people are more at risk of getting asthma than others, depending on family history and exposure to asthma triggers at work or at home.
3. Asthma cannot be cured, but it can be prevented and managed. Asthma is the most common chronic disease facing children, accounting for 10 million missed days of school. The disease has become an emergent public health concern in the United States.
4. Asthma is the third-ranking cause of hospitalization among those under 15 years of age. At its worst, asthma can be deadly. In Louisiana, one in 10 households with children has at least one child who is asthmatic.
5. Asthma is the most common chronic disease among children, affecting an estimated 4.8 million children under the age of 18 in the United States.
Source: Louisiana Public Health Institute; National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The body of a man who is believed to have jumped off the Hale Boggs Bridge in...
A splash park in Ormond that opened in June to much fanfare has now closed from...
More than 200 people crammed into the Mule Barn at Destrehan Plantation last...
Ever since new Hahnville football coach Nick Saltaformaggio took over the program...
If anglers want to catch fish in Grand Isle, the speckled trout are in the surf and...
A major network television series will be filmed in St. Charles Parish for the...
The St. Charles Parish Library has six locations across the parish, including a bookmobile and planetarium. We have free Wi-Fi, computers, internet access, books, magazines and more for your use. Visit us today to get a library card!
Body of HHS grad found in Jefferson Parish - 11419 views
The body of a man who is believed to have jumped off the Hale Boggs Bridge in Luling early Sunday morning has been found in Jefferson Parish.