Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Finite: a) druggist; b) limited; c) quality of a musical tone produced by a musical instrument; d) obligatory.
2. Badger: a) pester; annoy; b) object to be thrown or projected; c) drink (alcoholic beverages) frequently; d) malleability; flexibility.
3. Turncoat: a) informal discussion; b) circular building or hall covered with a dome; c) discourage; d) traitor.
4. Debacle: a) breaking up, downfall b) confuse, puzzle; c) attribute, ascribe; d) without feeling.
5. Cauterize: a) fitness, talent; b) burn with hot iron or caustic; c) not to be taken away, nontransferable; d) serious or fatal accident.
6. Squabble: a) small group of persons secretly united to promote their own interests; b) disloyal; c) minor quarrel, bickering; d) waste.
7. Vulpine: a) reduce, exhaust; b) projection; conjecture; c) lavish expenditure, overabundant condition; d) like a fox, crafty.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office has identified Corp. Burt Hazeltine as the...
An anonymous tip led the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office to the arrest of a...
The small, orange brick building at 15160 U.S. Hwy. 90 in Paradis, where Dr. Wilson...
Three area organizations have set up funds to accept donations for St. Charles...
“Disgusting! This is a proven case of ‘who you are and the pull you have with the...
Surrounded by his “brothers in blue,” Cpl. Burt Hazeltine reflected on surviving...
At Saia Auto Consultants, our ultimate goal is to get you the highest quality vehicle for your money.
Defective turf will be replaced at both Destrehan, Hahnville - 1179 views
Five years after Destrehan and Hahnville high schools spent $2.6 million to install turf football fields, the turf failed and work will soon be underway to replace them.