Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Finite: a) druggist; b) limited; c) quality of a musical tone produced by a musical instrument; d) obligatory.
2. Badger: a) pester; annoy; b) object to be thrown or projected; c) drink (alcoholic beverages) frequently; d) malleability; flexibility.
3. Turncoat: a) informal discussion; b) circular building or hall covered with a dome; c) discourage; d) traitor.
4. Debacle: a) breaking up, downfall b) confuse, puzzle; c) attribute, ascribe; d) without feeling.
5. Cauterize: a) fitness, talent; b) burn with hot iron or caustic; c) not to be taken away, nontransferable; d) serious or fatal accident.
6. Squabble: a) small group of persons secretly united to promote their own interests; b) disloyal; c) minor quarrel, bickering; d) waste.
7. Vulpine: a) reduce, exhaust; b) projection; conjecture; c) lavish expenditure, overabundant condition; d) like a fox, crafty.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Saying “someone tipped them off,” a New Orleans watchdog group says it obtained...
Tigers, Wildcats place 20 on All-District Team...
Viewing the Girl Scouts as a safe environment to meet, pay and learn, the Rev....
Lady Tigers, Wildcats place 12 on
All-District 1st Team, 2 on 2nd Team...
Joseph O. Fisher was finally on his way to following his brother into the U.S....
The best defensive safety in NFL history is how six-time Pro Bowl selected Raven’s...
Fast Friendly Service...Just Around the Corner! Frank's offers you the best choice in quality groceries at competitive prices.
Wildcats forge new identity - 1899 views
After finishing last season 14-1 and losing a host of key players to graduation, the Destrehan Wildcats regrouped this spring to find a new identity.