Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Finite: a) druggist; b) limited; c) quality of a musical tone produced by a musical instrument; d) obligatory.
2. Badger: a) pester; annoy; b) object to be thrown or projected; c) drink (alcoholic beverages) frequently; d) malleability; flexibility.
3. Turncoat: a) informal discussion; b) circular building or hall covered with a dome; c) discourage; d) traitor.
4. Debacle: a) breaking up, downfall b) confuse, puzzle; c) attribute, ascribe; d) without feeling.
5. Cauterize: a) fitness, talent; b) burn with hot iron or caustic; c) not to be taken away, nontransferable; d) serious or fatal accident.
6. Squabble: a) small group of persons secretly united to promote their own interests; b) disloyal; c) minor quarrel, bickering; d) waste.
7. Vulpine: a) reduce, exhaust; b) projection; conjecture; c) lavish expenditure, overabundant condition; d) like a fox, crafty.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested and charged a Boutte woman with...
Rather than rely on “hopes and prayers” to find funding for the West Bank hurricane...
When Hahnville wrestler Kendrick Jones won the LHSAA Division I state championship...
The St. Charles Herald-Guide announces the hiring of reporters Anna Thibodeaux and...
Most nonprofits would, in a perfect world, want to pay their volunteers. But for...
Local union workers at Shell and Motiva refineries in Norco went on strike after...
United Way of St.Charles has been working to improve lives in St.Charles Parish since 1955. We are committed to bringing the community together to deliver lasting changes throughout the parish in the ares of education, income & health.
Speaking for the children - 796 views
Most nonprofits would, in a perfect world, want to pay their volunteers. But for Louisiana’s Child Advocacy Services, being unpaid is, in fact, a key part of the job.