Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Finite: a) druggist; b) limited; c) quality of a musical tone produced by a musical instrument; d) obligatory.
2. Badger: a) pester; annoy; b) object to be thrown or projected; c) drink (alcoholic beverages) frequently; d) malleability; flexibility.
3. Turncoat: a) informal discussion; b) circular building or hall covered with a dome; c) discourage; d) traitor.
4. Debacle: a) breaking up, downfall b) confuse, puzzle; c) attribute, ascribe; d) without feeling.
5. Cauterize: a) fitness, talent; b) burn with hot iron or caustic; c) not to be taken away, nontransferable; d) serious or fatal accident.
6. Squabble: a) small group of persons secretly united to promote their own interests; b) disloyal; c) minor quarrel, bickering; d) waste.
7. Vulpine: a) reduce, exhaust; b) projection; conjecture; c) lavish expenditure, overabundant condition; d) like a fox, crafty.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
“It’s not fair. She was 24 and her husband was 22. I wish it was me first,” said...
By Kristen Higdon
Word came a week before the Louisiana Catfish Festival that Chef Jeff and his film...
By Lori Lyons
In his first season as Hahnville’s head softball...
Not that long ago a teacher could retire not knowing if he or she had made a...
If the Monsanto board approves the move in January, the company’s Luling site will...
Boutte Christian Academy (BCA) is a childcare and educational ministry of Life Church in Boutte. BCA was founded in 1980 as a Mother's Day Out Program and has grown over the years into a Class "A" Child Care Center and a State-Approved School
Des Allemands mother wants answers to daughter’s murder - 3718 views
When friends reported that a burning vehicle found in New Orleans East looked like her daughter’s car, Jolene Dufrene said, “I knew in my heart that was it.”