Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
BOUTTE - Experts agree that when you learn a new word, your world becomes a bigger and more interesting place.
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Finite: a) druggist; b) limited; c) quality of a musical tone produced by a musical instrument; d) obligatory.
2. Badger: a) pester; annoy; b) object to be thrown or projected; c) drink (alcoholic beverages) frequently; d) malleability; flexibility.
3. Turncoat: a) informal discussion; b) circular building or hall covered with a dome; c) discourage; d) traitor.
4. Debacle: a) breaking up, downfall b) confuse, puzzle; c) attribute, ascribe; d) without feeling.
5. Cauterize: a) fitness, talent; b) burn with hot iron or caustic; c) not to be taken away, nontransferable; d) serious or fatal accident.
6. Squabble: a) small group of persons secretly united to promote their own interests; b) disloyal; c) minor quarrel, bickering; d) waste.
7. Vulpine: a) reduce, exhaust; b) projection; conjecture; c) lavish expenditure, overabundant condition; d) like a fox, crafty.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald Guide is the complete local news in St. Charles Parish, Louisiana.
Get your local news, sports and information from the Parish's award winning paper.
St. Charles Herald Guide has what you need.
In the summer of 1973, a baby boy was born to a 14 year-old girl at West Jefferson...
Most graduating seniors do not come close to scoring a 27 on the ACT test, but...
The Port of South Louisiana will soon see a change in leadership after Joel T....
Parish President V.J. St. Pierre, along with eight other parish presidents and...
St. Charles Parish plans to go out for construction bids next month on the first...
Little more than a week after officials from 14 parishes took a trip to Washington,...
Grumpy's is serving up your all time favorites in St Charles Parish, from Seafood to Sandwiches. Dine in or To-Go, phone orders welcome!
Chaisson out as port director, Aucoin named successor - 546 views
Joel T. Chaisson Sr.’s eight-year tenure as executive director of the Port of South Louisiana will officially come to an end on July 14.