Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the four choices that we give you.
Watch out - three are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Finite: a) druggist; b) limited; c) quality of a musical tone produced by a musical instrument; d) obligatory.
2. Badger: a) pester; annoy; b) object to be thrown or projected; c) drink (alcoholic beverages) frequently; d) malleability; flexibility.
3. Turncoat: a) informal discussion; b) circular building or hall covered with a dome; c) discourage; d) traitor.
4. Debacle: a) breaking up, downfall b) confuse, puzzle; c) attribute, ascribe; d) without feeling.
5. Cauterize: a) fitness, talent; b) burn with hot iron or caustic; c) not to be taken away, nontransferable; d) serious or fatal accident.
6. Squabble: a) small group of persons secretly united to promote their own interests; b) disloyal; c) minor quarrel, bickering; d) waste.
7. Vulpine: a) reduce, exhaust; b) projection; conjecture; c) lavish expenditure, overabundant condition; d) like a fox, crafty.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Rodney Naquin Jr. was sentenced to 29 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to a...
The St. Charles Parish Council cleared the way for a Southeastern Freight Lines...
Destrehan basketball star Cara Ursin has left a tough act to follow, that much is...
Katie Beuttner has always loved the water....
Recognized as an educator who inspires students toward conservation and the...
All of the ongoing renovations and upgrades to Rathborne Park aren't quite...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Norco man fighting cancer one day at a time - 4883 views
It was hard enough for Jimmy Stuard to deal with a diagnosis of colon cancer involving a tumor so large that only chemotherapy and radiation treatments offered any hope that it might be removed.