Power foods that prevent cancer - you donít have to live in fear of the ĎBIG Cí
Such a diet supplies protective compounds that prevent cancerous changes from happening in our bodies, and they help eliminate harmful substances.
1. Herbs and spices. Before refrigeration was invented, spices and herbs, in addition to salt and smoke, were used to preserve meat.
Today, we know that ginger, turmeric, rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, cloves and other flavoring herbs have strong antioxidative activity and influence enzyme activity.
These features also help in preventing cancerous changes, and they prevent cancerous cells from growing.
2. Broccoli. While being cooked, broccoli releases a strong, familiar odor, which comes from the chemical sulforaphane.
This compound has been identified as a cancer-preventive agent in broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables, such as cabbage and brussels sprouts.
Sulforaphane can detoxify cancer-causing chemicals and reduce cancer risk.
Broccoli also can be eaten raw, in which case you can get the beneficial chemicals with less odor. Sulforaphane also can be found in sprouts and teas.
3. Mushrooms. Exotic mushrooms may hold chemicals that have anti-tumor properties, and some have been used for centuries by Chinese medicine practitioners to treat various ailments. Such rare mushrooms as shiitake, enoke and oyster have chemical compounds that neutralize cancerous cells. More than 100 species of mushrooms are used by Chinese medicine practitioners.
4. Tomatoes. Lycopene in tomatoes has been known to reduce the risk of prostate cancer. Cooked tomato products are particularly high in lycopene, the beneficial molecule.
Fortunately, the Western diet has plenty of cooked tomato products.
5. Citrus fruits. Citrus fruits are full of flavonoids, a type of antioxidant that has anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties. Flavonoids inhibit tumor cell growth and can activate important detoxifying enzymes. Polyphenols cause the bitter taste in citrus fruits and tanginess in many fruits and teas.
Citrus pulp, or the white part of the orange peel, is rich in compounds called glucarates.
These substances may be beneficial in preventing breast cancer, and they may offer some benefit to women who have severe problems with premenstrual syndrome.
6. Whole grains. Not simply a starch, whole grains are important foods that contain chemicals that stimulate detoxifying enzymes to inhibit tumor cell growth.
Because these chemicals are mainly in the outer bran layer or inner germ part of the grain, make sure you eat whole-grain products to get the benefit. There is a 200- to 300-fold loss of these compounds with refinement process.
6. Soy. Soybeans are remarkable in the amounts and kinds of compounds with anti-cancer activity.
Soybeans are part of a regular diet in the Orient, and consumption of soybeans is thought of as the reason for low incidence of breast, prostate, stomach, colon, rectum and lung cancer compared to Westerners who consume few soybeans.
8. Fish. Coldwater fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids exist mainly in seafoods, although some omega-3 fatty acids are also in soy oil and flax seeds. Omega-3 fatty acids are metabolized to short-lived compounds in the body that have remarkably profound activities.
They can relax blood vessels and reduce blood pressure and reduce inflammatory reactions. They can regulate heart beat and aid in digestion.
Questions? Comments? Write email@example.com
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
St. Charles Parish experienced the only decline in home prices in the New Orleans...
A Wisconsin organization has sent another letter demanding the St. Charles Parish...
The St. Charles Parish School Board wants to install a comprehensive video...
The body of a man who is believed to have jumped off the Hale Boggs Bridge in...
Two teens will not spend any additional time in jail after admitting they lured a...
Redfish have invaded Lake Salvador, making it easy for anglers to catch their...
New York Life gives you the path to financial security of life time protection and value of life insurance, annuities, retirement plans and other financial planning. Let us help you achieve the financial goal of lifetime income!
Rolling road block in both directions of Hale Boggs Bridge Saturday - 1554 views
There will be a rolling road block on both the southbound and northbound lanes of the Hale Boggs Bridge on Saturday from 6 a.m. until noon because a car commercial is being filmed in the area.