Power foods that prevent cancer - you don’t have to live in fear of the ‘BIG C’
Such a diet supplies protective compounds that prevent cancerous changes from happening in our bodies, and they help eliminate harmful substances.
1. Herbs and spices. Before refrigeration was invented, spices and herbs, in addition to salt and smoke, were used to preserve meat.
Today, we know that ginger, turmeric, rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, cloves and other flavoring herbs have strong antioxidative activity and influence enzyme activity.
These features also help in preventing cancerous changes, and they prevent cancerous cells from growing.
2. Broccoli. While being cooked, broccoli releases a strong, familiar odor, which comes from the chemical sulforaphane.
This compound has been identified as a cancer-preventive agent in broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables, such as cabbage and brussels sprouts.
Sulforaphane can detoxify cancer-causing chemicals and reduce cancer risk.
Broccoli also can be eaten raw, in which case you can get the beneficial chemicals with less odor. Sulforaphane also can be found in sprouts and teas.
3. Mushrooms. Exotic mushrooms may hold chemicals that have anti-tumor properties, and some have been used for centuries by Chinese medicine practitioners to treat various ailments. Such rare mushrooms as shiitake, enoke and oyster have chemical compounds that neutralize cancerous cells. More than 100 species of mushrooms are used by Chinese medicine practitioners.
4. Tomatoes. Lycopene in tomatoes has been known to reduce the risk of prostate cancer. Cooked tomato products are particularly high in lycopene, the beneficial molecule.
Fortunately, the Western diet has plenty of cooked tomato products.
5. Citrus fruits. Citrus fruits are full of flavonoids, a type of antioxidant that has anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties. Flavonoids inhibit tumor cell growth and can activate important detoxifying enzymes. Polyphenols cause the bitter taste in citrus fruits and tanginess in many fruits and teas.
Citrus pulp, or the white part of the orange peel, is rich in compounds called glucarates.
These substances may be beneficial in preventing breast cancer, and they may offer some benefit to women who have severe problems with premenstrual syndrome.
6. Whole grains. Not simply a starch, whole grains are important foods that contain chemicals that stimulate detoxifying enzymes to inhibit tumor cell growth.
Because these chemicals are mainly in the outer bran layer or inner germ part of the grain, make sure you eat whole-grain products to get the benefit. There is a 200- to 300-fold loss of these compounds with refinement process.
6. Soy. Soybeans are remarkable in the amounts and kinds of compounds with anti-cancer activity.
Soybeans are part of a regular diet in the Orient, and consumption of soybeans is thought of as the reason for low incidence of breast, prostate, stomach, colon, rectum and lung cancer compared to Westerners who consume few soybeans.
8. Fish. Coldwater fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids exist mainly in seafoods, although some omega-3 fatty acids are also in soy oil and flax seeds. Omega-3 fatty acids are metabolized to short-lived compounds in the body that have remarkably profound activities.
They can relax blood vessels and reduce blood pressure and reduce inflammatory reactions. They can regulate heart beat and aid in digestion.
Questions? Comments? Write firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
It appears that three people sought in connection with the theft of 23 cell phones...
Low oil prices could lead to the loss of 30,000 jobs throughout Louisiana,...
The falling price of oil has resulted in low prices at the pump—in some cases, less...
A Nicholls State graduate found herself with a ticket to Chicago this past Saturday...
Luling shift firefighter Joseph Riebow, 39, who’s fight against leukemia was...
It’s been an up and down season for the Hahnville Lady Tigers.
Your family barbershop, beauty parlor, and hair salon all in one convenient location. Bring the whole family to our friendly and attentive staff for a relaxing shave and haircut or complete hairstyle. Children's cuts $12.00 and Adults starting at $14.00
Norco school staff reunites missing Texas man with family - 5260 views
A missing 87-year-old Texas man, who unknowingly drove more than 300 miles to St. Charles Parish, was reunited with his family thanks to office personnel at Norco Elementary School.