... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th B-day
Because each week in the St. Charles Herald-Guide, we publish seven new historical tidbits in honor of St. Charles Parish’s Bicentennial Year. Here goes:
1. In 1953 the parish had no hospital, but there were two health clinics, one on each side of the river. The construction of a hospital was in the works but wouldn’t be given the go ahead until 1958.
2. In 1954 the parish got its first library overseen by librarian Charlotte Gaylord. It housed 8,000 books.3. After years of segregation, the integration of white and black schools began in 1965.
4. In 1968 the parish received its first junior high schools, J.B Martin Junior High in Paradis and New Sarpy Middle School.5. In 1969 the parish erected a monument in front of the courthouse that honored the men killed in the Vietnam War.
6. In 1966 St. Charles Parish was one of 19 sugar cane producing parishes in Louisiana.
7. In addition to sugar cane farming, a popular parish vocation in the 1960s was fishing - especially in the Des Allemands community.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Lutcher coach Tim Detillier is fond of saying “they should collect the money on the...
Darrington Sentimore once spent his time taking down quarterbacks and running backs...
Forty workers with AT&T’s Luling work center walked off their jobs at 7 a.m. today...
Stacy Stabile-Forristal is a “search angel” who has helped numerous adoptees...
The goal is to put a duck call (pink or camo) and a fishing pole – anything that’s...
When it comes to insurance, the catastrophe can linger long after the devastation...
When you visit Dr. Joshua C. Patella and his team at Patella Dental, you are our top priority. Our entire general dentistry team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. We believe that teeth should look and feel
Katrina, Rita and Sandy push rising flood insurance rates - 575 views
When it comes to insurance, the catastrophe can linger long after the devastation and such is the case with rising flood insurance rates in St. Charles Parish, as well as the nation.