Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you.
Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Comprise: a) include; consist of; b) slander, vilify c) collection; heap d) grave, serious.
2. Substantive: a) muddle, drive crazy; b) expressing praise; c) languish, decline, long for, yearn; d) essential; pertaining to the substance.
3. Epaulet: a) efficient; b) appearance, costume; c) ornament worn on the shoulder (of a uniform, etc.); d) expedient, prudent.
4. Patois: a) overstock, fill to excess; b) accuse, serve as evidence against c) local or provincial dialect; d) move troops so that the battle line is extended at the expense of depth.
5. Tensile: a) capable of being stretched; b) hatred of marriage; c) mutually agreed on, done together; d) verbose, drawn out.
6. Founder: a) noticeable, targeted for vengeance; b) drive our evil spirits; c) fail completely, sink; d) lower.
7. Whet: a) sharpen, stimulate; b) brief, terse; c) ability to identify with another's feelings, ideas, etc.; d) revenging agent.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-C. 4-C. 5-A. 6-D. 7-A
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Entergy Louisiana Inc. continued to rank as St. Charles Parish’s largest company...
Call it awesome, a great cause or an amazing achievement from everyone pulling...
All schools deal with the issue of bullying. St. Rose Elementary School is taking...
Ama resident Glenn Singleton smiled as he fondly called being in attendance at the...
Week 5 at St. Thomas More always promised to be one of the most challenging games...
Destrehan could have had a letdown game coming off of its rivalry win over...
When you visit Dr. Joshua C. Patella and his team at Patella Dental, you are our top priority. Our entire general dentistry team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. We believe that teeth should look and feel
Oil ban lift could hurt jobs in St. Charles Parish refinery business - 1842 views
As efforts continue with Congress to lift restrictions on U.S. crude oil exports, so are those by the United Steelworkers union (USW) to stop it, arguing it could hurt jobs and the refinery business in areas like St. Charles Parish.