Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you.
Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Comprise: a) include; consist of; b) slander, vilify c) collection; heap d) grave, serious.
2. Substantive: a) muddle, drive crazy; b) expressing praise; c) languish, decline, long for, yearn; d) essential; pertaining to the substance.
3. Epaulet: a) efficient; b) appearance, costume; c) ornament worn on the shoulder (of a uniform, etc.); d) expedient, prudent.
4. Patois: a) overstock, fill to excess; b) accuse, serve as evidence against c) local or provincial dialect; d) move troops so that the battle line is extended at the expense of depth.
5. Tensile: a) capable of being stretched; b) hatred of marriage; c) mutually agreed on, done together; d) verbose, drawn out.
6. Founder: a) noticeable, targeted for vengeance; b) drive our evil spirits; c) fail completely, sink; d) lower.
7. Whet: a) sharpen, stimulate; b) brief, terse; c) ability to identify with another's feelings, ideas, etc.; d) revenging agent.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-C. 4-C. 5-A. 6-D. 7-A
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Hahnville senior receiver Ricky Preston will continue his football career after...
After finishing last season 14-1 and losing a host of key players to graduation,...
Hahnville’s Brandon Singleton won both the 110-and 300-meter hurdle events in the...
Ashlyn Frahm is this year’s salutatorian for Destrehan High School (DHS)....
Julian Turner did his best and “just kind of ran into” being named salutatorian for...
Although Randall “Randy” Harvey had an idea he might be named Destrehan High School...
Your Sears Hometown Store offering appliances, mattresses, tools, lawn and garden supplies and more. Conveniently located in Boutte, Louisiana.
Fight the fire: Luling man recounts new strategies, equipment, buildings - 656 views
In the many years that Barry Minnich has been with the Luling Volunteer Fire Department, he quickly came to realize his job extended far beyond the fire.