Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you.
Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Letís go!
1. Comprise: a) include; consist of; b) slander, vilify c) collection; heap d) grave, serious.
2. Substantive: a) muddle, drive crazy; b) expressing praise; c) languish, decline, long for, yearn; d) essential; pertaining to the substance.
3. Epaulet: a) efficient; b) appearance, costume; c) ornament worn on the shoulder (of a uniform, etc.); d) expedient, prudent.
4. Patois: a) overstock, fill to excess; b) accuse, serve as evidence against c) local or provincial dialect; d) move troops so that the battle line is extended at the expense of depth.
5. Tensile: a) capable of being stretched; b) hatred of marriage; c) mutually agreed on, done together; d) verbose, drawn out.
6. Founder: a) noticeable, targeted for vengeance; b) drive our evil spirits; c) fail completely, sink; d) lower.
7. Whet: a) sharpen, stimulate; b) brief, terse; c) ability to identify with another's feelings, ideas, etc.; d) revenging agent.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-C. 4-C. 5-A. 6-D. 7-A
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Residents looking to spend some time in the crisp winter air should don their...
The St. Charles Parish Toy Drive delivered a day of games, food, toys and plenty of...
Due to a lack of evidence, a Luling man accused of killing his father is no longer...
Police are searching for a man who attempted to break into a St. Rose home and...
The flu vaccine may not be as effective against this seasonís most dominant strain...
New fitness stations that will include bench presses, leg presses, elliptical...
New York Life gives you the path to financial security of life time protection and value of life insurance, annuities, retirement plans and other financial planning. Let us help you achieve the financial goal of lifetime income!
Sheriff arrests burglary suspect in St. Rose, another on the loose - 1064 views
Police said they arrested a man during a botched robbery in St. Rose Thursday evening, Dec. 11, who may have also been connected to an armed robbery in Destrehan the week prior.