Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you.
Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Comprise: a) include; consist of; b) slander, vilify c) collection; heap d) grave, serious.
2. Substantive: a) muddle, drive crazy; b) expressing praise; c) languish, decline, long for, yearn; d) essential; pertaining to the substance.
3. Epaulet: a) efficient; b) appearance, costume; c) ornament worn on the shoulder (of a uniform, etc.); d) expedient, prudent.
4. Patois: a) overstock, fill to excess; b) accuse, serve as evidence against c) local or provincial dialect; d) move troops so that the battle line is extended at the expense of depth.
5. Tensile: a) capable of being stretched; b) hatred of marriage; c) mutually agreed on, done together; d) verbose, drawn out.
6. Founder: a) noticeable, targeted for vengeance; b) drive our evil spirits; c) fail completely, sink; d) lower.
7. Whet: a) sharpen, stimulate; b) brief, terse; c) ability to identify with another's feelings, ideas, etc.; d) revenging agent.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-C. 4-C. 5-A. 6-D. 7-A
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
An emotional Jamie Loyacono of Metairie pointed to a photograph, one of many in a...
Roger Scott knew it was a longshot that his letter to President Barack Obama would...
Imagine belonging to an online chat room on Skype with friends haunted by a...
St. Charles Parish Public Schools made the grade with this year’s ACT composite...
Although St. Charles Parish officials don’t have a figure yet, they’re saying the...
Many young girls receive gifts like jewelry for their first communion, but Madison...
When you visit Dr. Joshua C. Patella and his team at Patella Dental, you are our top priority. Our entire general dentistry team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. We believe that teeth should look and feel
SCP will get a share of BP federal settlement - 1201 views
Although St. Charles Parish officials don’t have a figure yet, they’re saying the parish will get a portion of the proposed BP Oil Spill $18.7 billion settlement with the federal government.