Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you.
Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Comprise: a) include; consist of; b) slander, vilify c) collection; heap d) grave, serious.
2. Substantive: a) muddle, drive crazy; b) expressing praise; c) languish, decline, long for, yearn; d) essential; pertaining to the substance.
3. Epaulet: a) efficient; b) appearance, costume; c) ornament worn on the shoulder (of a uniform, etc.); d) expedient, prudent.
4. Patois: a) overstock, fill to excess; b) accuse, serve as evidence against c) local or provincial dialect; d) move troops so that the battle line is extended at the expense of depth.
5. Tensile: a) capable of being stretched; b) hatred of marriage; c) mutually agreed on, done together; d) verbose, drawn out.
6. Founder: a) noticeable, targeted for vengeance; b) drive our evil spirits; c) fail completely, sink; d) lower.
7. Whet: a) sharpen, stimulate; b) brief, terse; c) ability to identify with another's feelings, ideas, etc.; d) revenging agent.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-C. 4-C. 5-A. 6-D. 7-A
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The goal is to put a duck call (pink or camo) and a fishing pole – anything that’s...
Festival of Charities crowned new royalty on Aug. 9 in Destrehan at the American...
Targeting events with the most crowds, St. Charles Parish Public Schools has...
Darrington Sentimore once spent his time taking down quarterbacks and running backs...
Molly the pony is a Sea Biscuit kind of story that offers the hope that anyone can...
Forty workers with AT&T’s Luling work center walked off their jobs at 7 a.m. today...
Your One Stop Home Improvement Shop...
Landowner cancels plans for controversial lake in Bayou Gauche - 1617 views
Bayou Gauche community residents had barraged the St. Charles Parish Planning Commission with questions, a town meeting was scheduled to address them and then landowner Cecil Sumners withdrew his permit application Tuesday for the lake that drew all this attention.