Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you.
Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. Comprise: a) include; consist of; b) slander, vilify c) collection; heap d) grave, serious.
2. Substantive: a) muddle, drive crazy; b) expressing praise; c) languish, decline, long for, yearn; d) essential; pertaining to the substance.
3. Epaulet: a) efficient; b) appearance, costume; c) ornament worn on the shoulder (of a uniform, etc.); d) expedient, prudent.
4. Patois: a) overstock, fill to excess; b) accuse, serve as evidence against c) local or provincial dialect; d) move troops so that the battle line is extended at the expense of depth.
5. Tensile: a) capable of being stretched; b) hatred of marriage; c) mutually agreed on, done together; d) verbose, drawn out.
6. Founder: a) noticeable, targeted for vengeance; b) drive our evil spirits; c) fail completely, sink; d) lower.
7. Whet: a) sharpen, stimulate; b) brief, terse; c) ability to identify with another's feelings, ideas, etc.; d) revenging agent.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
Answers: 1-A. 2-D. 3-C. 4-C. 5-A. 6-D. 7-A
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
It has been a hard wait for Jolene Dufrene, but she welcomed the news that the New...
Before they all left for Thanksgiving break, area elementary students were asked...
Larry Cochran, D-St. Rose, took the lead and kept it for a win as St. Charles...
Hahnville quarterback Mike Neal scrambled, desperately buying time as the halftime...
While many of the teams remaining in the prep football postseason will be adjusting...
Destrehan coach Stephen Robicheaux said his Wildcats’ performance against Barbe...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Cochran wins race for St. Charles Parish president - 795 views
Larry Cochran, D-St. Rose, took the lead and kept it for a win as St. Charles Parish president with 8,829 votes over opponent Terry Authement, R-Boutte, who got 6,914 votes in today's runoff race.