... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th B-day
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Chasidy Fonseca. E-mail email@example.com and we’ll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
1. In 1902 St. Charles Parish enjoyed the infusion of a new ethnic group, the Italians, who lived in old abandoned cabins but were quick to start their own businesses.
2. From 1930 to 1960, the non-white population decreased from 37 percent to 27 percent after many people of color moved to New Orleans for better opportunities.
3. The number of farms in the sugarcane and cattle business soared in the early 1900s, and totaled 328 by 1935.
4. In 1943 Edward A. Dufresne purchased Ashton Plantation, which was the largest plantation to be owned by a individual at the time.
5. In 1952 the largest wooden-match manufacturing plant, Delta Match Corporation ,opened on the east bank of the parish.
6. After the American Oil Company closed in 1958, the parish didn't see another industrial surge until 1961 when the Bunge Grain Elevator opened in Destrehan.
7. The St. Charles Herald was sold in 1954 by the Triche family to Henry E. Yoes Jr. after 63 years of ownership.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald Guide is the complete local news in St. Charles Parish, Louisiana.
Get your local news, sports and information from the Parish's award winning paper.
St. Charles Herald Guide has what you need.
Most graduating seniors do not come close to scoring a 27 on the ACT test, but...
Little more than a week after officials from 14 parishes took a trip to Washington,...
St. Charles Parish plans to go out for construction bids next month on the first...
Dr. Rodney Lafon boiled down his decision to announce his retirement last month to...
Parish President V.J. St. Pierre, along with eight other parish presidents and...
In the still darkness of the morning, three crabbers in a pickup truck arrived at...
First National Bank USA provides quality service to our customers through quality financial performance to secure your assets and demonstrate a high standard of integrity and professionalism today and tomorrow.
Adopted Oregon man uses social media to track down parents - 2616 views
In the summer of 1973, a baby boy was born to a 14 year-old girl at West Jefferson Medical Center in Gretna.