... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th B-day
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Chasidy Fonseca. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
1. In 1902 St. Charles Parish enjoyed the infusion of a new ethnic group, the Italians, who lived in old abandoned cabins but were quick to start their own businesses.
2. From 1930 to 1960, the non-white population decreased from 37 percent to 27 percent after many people of color moved to New Orleans for better opportunities.
3. The number of farms in the sugarcane and cattle business soared in the early 1900s, and totaled 328 by 1935.
4. In 1943 Edward A. Dufresne purchased Ashton Plantation, which was the largest plantation to be owned by a individual at the time.
5. In 1952 the largest wooden-match manufacturing plant, Delta Match Corporation ,opened on the east bank of the parish.
6. After the American Oil Company closed in 1958, the parish didn't see another industrial surge until 1961 when the Bunge Grain Elevator opened in Destrehan.
7. The St. Charles Herald was sold in 1954 by the Triche family to Henry E. Yoes Jr. after 63 years of ownership.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The Destrehan Lady Wildcats lost only their second game all season when they fell...
The fastest person to hike the 2,181-mile Appalachian Trail will talk about her...
The story of 89-year-old Norco resident William Rook is more than a story about an...
Now that carnival season has to come to an end, Fat Tuesday has passed and Ash...
A Luling father who has been convicted of molesting his daughter twice in the last...
A 21-year-old Montz man was arrested and charged with obscenity after a motorist on...
Boudreaux's Collision offers quality auto body shop repair. Whether it's a major collision or paint touch up, we get you back on the road fast!
Destrehan advances to state championship game - 522 views
The Destrehan Lady Wildcats are on their way to the Class 5A state championship game after beating No. 15 Helen Cox 70-57.