... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th B-day
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Chasidy Fonseca. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
1. In 1902 St. Charles Parish enjoyed the infusion of a new ethnic group, the Italians, who lived in old abandoned cabins but were quick to start their own businesses.
2. From 1930 to 1960, the non-white population decreased from 37 percent to 27 percent after many people of color moved to New Orleans for better opportunities.
3. The number of farms in the sugarcane and cattle business soared in the early 1900s, and totaled 328 by 1935.
4. In 1943 Edward A. Dufresne purchased Ashton Plantation, which was the largest plantation to be owned by a individual at the time.
5. In 1952 the largest wooden-match manufacturing plant, Delta Match Corporation ,opened on the east bank of the parish.
6. After the American Oil Company closed in 1958, the parish didn't see another industrial surge until 1961 when the Bunge Grain Elevator opened in Destrehan.
7. The St. Charles Herald was sold in 1954 by the Triche family to Henry E. Yoes Jr. after 63 years of ownership.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The railroad crossing on Ormond Boulevard closest to River Road will be closed for...
Though there are no suspected or confirmed cases of the virus in St. Charles...
Entergy is seeking approval from St. Charles Parish leaders to build a generator...
While heroin use appears to be on the rise across Louisiana, St. Charles Parish...
After undergoing a seven-hour surgery to correct a severe case of scoliosis,...
A man was found dead in the Bonnet Carré Spillway on Friday after a night of...
Advanced Air is state licensed and locally owned and operated. We provide prompt, courteous service and are available 24 hours for St. Charles and surrounding parishes. Call us day or night for all your a/c and heating needs!
Disabled war veteran one of 25 waiting for a home at Hahnville homeless complex - 865 views
Byron Joseph Sr., 56, is not a homeless stereotype.